IGNORED

Racecar replica

Emil

Why doesn't someone replicate "Big Sam". That's a great racer with lots of history. Does anyone know of a replica of this champion?

Vicky

Replicating a car that still exists might be seen as a slightly strange thing to do, especially in the same country.

The real Big Sam has been restored and still resides in the UK. Take a look at zhome.com web site. There is a section called z history/racing history

It does indeed, and will be seen at the Goodwood Festival of Speed next month - driven by owner Mr Nick Howell and guest drivers.

I'm sorry to say that a lot of the 'history' of 'Big Sam' quoted on zhome.com is inaccurate. Probably not the fault of zhome.com - but it needs to be corrected / updated just the same.

I agree with building a replica, esp. if it still exists. To see (and hear) Big Sam doing what it was meant to do....hmmmm.

You could get hold of an original Samuri 240, which were prepared by the same people who built Big Sam. Though these are rather rare now, attached is one that was found with motorsport history, been sitting 12 years, I think it a real shame just sitting there rotting away....

post-6856-14150795324726_thumb.jpg

Alan,

Thanks for the information. I did not have that much background. What I found was that the car started as an almost plain 240ZG and with almost every race and year was equipped with more and bigger bodysculptures. The car as represented by the Fujimi kit is a stock 240ZG with, I think, Watabe wheels.

Attached is a picture of the artcover of the Fujimi kit. I just love the colorscheme.

Emil Stojanov

post-1343-14150795325011_thumb.jpg

I believe that the car pictured above (nice Ebbro Model) is still in Japan or a very fine replica exists of this car.

This is complicated. The EBBRO model was based on the restored 240ZR owned by NISMO. This car was originally one of the Nissan Racing School fleet, and Nissan don't actually know exactly which race car this originally was ( or don't want to tell ). They restored it to a livery / paint scheme that was used by one of the original SCCN Works 240ZR race cars, but almost certainly not this particular car.

So EBBRO made a model of the NISMO-restored ex-NRS fleet, ex-Works 240ZR that was painted to look like another car. Complicated.

Emil expressed interest in replicating ( I think ) Yanagida's car per '72 Fuji 1000km spec. It should be noted that this car was wearing the Works 'Type A' Overfender and airdam set over its ZG panels, whereas the NISMO-restored car is wearing the much wider and more extreme later 'Type B' Overfender and airdam set over the same ZG panels. Note the differences.

Here are some pics to help illustrate those differences:

Taken at the 2002 NISMO Festival at Fuji Speedway, pictures of my friend Shigeru Terashima's green / white / black 240ZR replica ( Type A aero package ) and the NISMO-restored genuine 240ZR ( Type B aero package ). Also a photo of Mr Haruhito Yanagida himself in the pitlane on practice day, with Terashima san's 240ZR replica ( which he drove at the Festival ).

post-2116-14150795325629_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150795325873_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150795326094_thumb.jpg

Alan,

Thanks for the information. I did not have that much background. What I found was that the car started as an almost plain 240ZG and with almost every race and year was equipped with more and bigger bodysculptures. The car as represented by the Fujimi kit is a stock 240ZG with, I think, Watabe wheels.

Attached is a picture of the artcover of the Fujimi kit. I just love the colorscheme.

Emil Stojanov

Hi Emil,

Glad to be able to help.

I think the Fujimi kit is a good example of the 'artistic license' of the kit makers. They had the moulds and tooling for the standard Fairlady 240ZG, and - like many kit manufacturers - decided to release a version with different box art and decals to maximise the use of the tooling. The box art and the model kit itself do not accurately represent the actual car used as a base for the kit version....

Yanagida's car did evolve gradually ( from a 'short nose' car, as I mentioned above ) but I don't think it ever looked exactly like the box art illustration of the Fujimi kit - which is lovely all the same! I agree about the paintscheme and stickers, they do look good.

Replicating the car as per the Fujimi box art would be a lot cheaper and easier than replicating the true look of Yanagida's actual car. That might be a useful thought to keep in mind. Take a look in my Gallery here for pics of a real Factory-made 240ZG as reference.

Cheers,

Alan T.

Though these are rather rare now, attached is one that was found with motorsport history, been sitting 12 years, I think it a real shame just sitting there rotting away....

Ian, I saw this car featured on the UK zclub site a while back. Do you know whether the car was saved or not?

Andrew

To see (and hear) Big Sam doing what it was meant to do....hmmmm.

Go to Goodwood in June. Maybe the car won't quite be doing 'what it was meant to do' - but at least you can see and hear it be driven up the hill with enthusiasm.

......attached is one that was found with motorsport history, been sitting 12 years, I think it a real shame just sitting there rotting away....

Got any details of the 'motorsport history' for this car? And is that a sunroof under those bricks and cardboard?

Allan,

I know that model kit makers try to make the most money out of their toolings, but I hoped that Fujimi would have represented an actual car, because it is a very important part of their racing history. The reasons for me choosing this particular car (only knowing the Fujimi version) was the pretty asymmetrical color scheme, the elegant look of a ZG (the 'normal' race version are too heavy for my taste) and the fact that it is an almost streetlegal version. Strictly speaking adding a G-Nose to a Z makes it illegal by Dutch law, but that can be overcome by pointing out that it was an official Datsun streetversion and is allowed in the US. The only compromise I have to make is to make the headlights vissible. As for the very wide flares, there is no way I could get that legalized. So maybe the best thing to do is make it like the coverart and blame Fujimi. Speaking of compromise, the base car I want to use for this project is a 280Z....

But maybe you have some other examples of a racing versions with a nice colorscheme and a almost stock ZG look?

Kind regards,

Emil Stojanov