IGNORED

Handheld/Pocket PCs

TomoHawk

I would advice you to search the web for software available for ppc og palms, and see if there is something there you would like to have, before you decide for ppc or palm.

I also would advice you to look at "smart phones", as many of them actually are a kind of ppc.

Also, take a look at www.tomtom.com , they make good software for navigation, and also sell gps receivers.

(I bought software and gps to fit a Nokia 6600, and learned that my 6630 wont use the same memorystick the 6600 use... :cry: But still can use the bluetooth gps with other software downloaded from the web! :laugh: )

Also try looking at car related software for ppc or palm,

like OBD readers, or other displays. I now I can get software for ppc to show lambda readings from my Innowate wb lambdalogger...

Just try to see what you can get before shopping your ppc or palm.

I have a Sony Clie TJ37 and I absolutely love it. The screen is clear and bright, it does everything I want and more. Not sure about GPS though, you'd have to investigate that.

I have been using the HP jornada 690 since it came out-more than 5 years, still runs great, faxes in and out, uses compaq flash cards, a true keyboard, and several accessories. When the batteries become NLA, it will be assimilated into one of the cars.

WIll

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have you had any experience in programming them? I have some tools for VB .Net to interface to a GPS receiver, but since I don't have access to a real Pocket PC, I haven't had a chance to write code for the PPC. Just wondering what the general procedure is on that (PM mer if you want about that).

I thought it would be easy to write a simple program to monitor the average speed on sections of a rally, just tap the screen to reset for the next section.

Oh- I forgot. You can't use a computer in the beginner's class! :( Well maybe it'll just be in there for pictures or music then....

thanks, Will

I haven't had much time to look at or fool with a pocket PC because I gotta keep up with all the other PC languages to keep up my status in the college faculty. If I get a pocket PC, I will definitely start reading books on programming.

thx

i've got a hp ipaq rx3715 and use it with a 1gb sd card for music, movies and ofcourse simpsons, i just have it plugged in to my headunit via a 3.5mm lead, anyway it works well, i normally have it sitting ontop of the ash tray and was going to get a holder from a navman (or similar in car pda device that comes with them) but haven't bought a reciever

For about a month i had an asus a730w which is a really cool pda as it runs vga resolution (640X480) on its 3.5inch screen AND the main advantage being it can run usb hard discs, except they have to be powered from a hub or have a battery like an ipod does, so mayb look into one that can do usb hosting as it makes the device alot better for using for entertainment in the car, although depending on the brand of the disc and the casing it in can make it rather slow, i've played around with quite a few different ones and got it working well but ended up selling the pda because its battery life wasn't anywhere near good enough for what i was using it for mainly

now i'm thinking about and looking into doing an in car computer, and as i have a 260z dash the bit under the dials is a square so would fit a screen quite nicely, my only question is would it be possible to relocate the heater controls to in the glovebox or somewhere else easily? have a read at mp3car.com because its quite interesting and a guy there has his computer set up with servos to control the air con but i think thats getting a bit excitable

• 6 months later...

Hey you guys--

I just got a Palm IIc for a few weeks to try out and this little thing is pretty neat. You can get apps for tracking your gas mileage, & etc., games and the other usual stuff. You can get GPS mapping for it too. I even have a virtual dog to play with!

What kind of Apps are you guys using? I checked out a few for rally driving, like Rally Calc and it's not easy to figure out, let alone use it sans co-driver.

I figure on keeping the thing in the Z, since it gets the most expenses on it.

My employer provides me with vehicle, a 2005 Trailblazer. I have it outfitted with the following:

-Fujitsu B series Lifebook mini-laptop with touch screen, mounted on a Gamber-Johnson stand

-Garmin GPS

-Kyocera KPC650 EVDO card (high speed wireless on CDMA network)

-8 port hub with USB interface to the PC

I use Street Atlas on the laptop for navigating. It communicates with the Garmin and plots a trail as you drive around. It can also be set up with voice prompts to tell you when to turn if you have a destination set up.

With the KPC650 EVDO card I can make a data call and connect to the company network. Great for sending & receiving e-mails when I'm out of the office. Or I can surf the web, and check out the latest on the ClassicZCars site!