IGNORED

Handheld/Pocket PCs

TomoHawk

I'm thinking of getting one for miscellaneous purposes, including street maps while driving around the state or U.S. I've been reading some, but they usually just give you product specs and you don't get educated on what you want to buy.

I (think) I'd like one with a big screen ( to view maps), GPS capability (either direct or bluetooth- depends on map software), and an operating system to do most other ordinary stuff like phonebook, notes, voice recording, MP3s, maybe a camera & USB port for digital camera and file xfer. Not sure about a color screen, but it would be nice for the camera...

I'm technical, but does anybody know enough to put it into easier tech? I'll take it from there.

thx

I wish I could help you with the technical stuff...however I just bought a PalmOne Zire72s with the GPS pack and I am impressed with how it works. It uses the blue tooth technology for the GPS receiver. You will want to purchase a memory card or a few of them to copy the maps to. I have a 512 mb card for mine and I could use another one to make sure I got all the maps. It came with the map software it is like 8 disks worth of program and maps (mostly maps). If I can help you any other way, just let me know.

David

Mine is set up with rechargeable battery and it came with a dc power adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter (I don't smoke so at least that part of my car now has a good use) and powers both the GPs receiver and my palm pilot.

IMHO if you want one with GPC, get one that has dedicated GPS.... much more user-friendly.... look at garmin.

as far as palms go, there are a couple drawbacks. first, it's based on a Mac-style OS, so unless you're used to macs i recommend looking into something w/ windows mobile (pocketPCs). secondly, the palms don't have a replaceable battery.... what that means is when your battery finally gives out, you have to get a new handheld (or get it serviced... but the cost isn't worth it.) anyway, that's my opinion..... check out some HP ipaqs...

FWIW i've been using my palm m505 for years and the battery still works fine. The only time it starts to run low is when I leave it in my bag for several months without using it and the battery gets down to about 1/4 or so. A night on the cradle fixes that though. If you're looking for something basic and inexpensive, the base level zire is around $100. I believe you will find almost all pocketPCs will be considerably more expensive.

I generally use it to keep track of my schedule and contact info. I don't see any reason why you would prefer a mobile using a windowsOS vs palmOS for basic stuff like that. Either will work fine IMO.

My friend has an aftermarket GPS unit, I believe it is a Garmin. It is pretty neat for finding someplace you've never been before since it can be clipped above the dash like a radar detector, displays various types of maps and gives audio instructions. It is meant to be removed when you get out of the car, and I assume it will work on its own battery when not plugged in.

I agree with e_racer on getting a dedicated GPS.

^^the m505 (and also m500, etc) had a different battery. i work for a retailer and i see people trying to return their palms because the battery wore down after a year.

other than that, the windows mobile is good for people who want an in-depth pocketPC.... if you're not looking to do much with it, the palm is perfect, also costs less...

I use mine for contact info, appointments, and as a note taker when I need that and I have a program for reading the Bible when I am away from home on it also. My Zire has great maps with several display options, the voice directions, camera, able to play mp3s downloaded to the media card as well as able to do voice recording and I only spent about 325 usd after rebates for the whole package that includes the gps hardware and software. So I got a pda and gps for alot less than what a dedicated gps costs that have the same capabilities. IMHO. Keep in mind I am no techno wizard and I find it easy to use. I do find that electronics are like everything else...you will find people who love certain brands (like our beloved Z's) and some people who wouldn't be caught dead with them (let the flaming begin). We all like different things and I would recommend you pick the one you like best. I would recommend what I have to anyone looking for something they could use in a variety of ways. If money wasn't an issue, then I would have ordered the manufacturers navigation system for my car and hire someone to make me a pda that does EVERYTHING my desktop pc does and do it as well so that I could use that whenever I was away from home and didn't want to carry something the size of a laptop with me. I like it and I am pleased with it. Good luck with what ever you purchase.

Thanks for the info, david,

I did a load of web search over the last couple days, and some store shopping. I finally met a friend with a Dell Handheld PC, and I borrowed it for the next few days. I researched this model (Maxim X50) and I feel it best meets my needs. No offense, but to me, the Palm computer seems like an expensive phonebook-notepad. Not as versatile as a normal computer. I like your idea of the electronic bible tho.

You can get a gps pack with maps with voice directions, just like your Zire ( prounounced "zire" or "zee-re"? LOL). The gps unit with cable is $179. I like the Dell PC because it has all the stuff your Zire has. Plus, since it's a real computer, I can add programs from other people or ones that I will be creating for myself. I'm working on an idea for rally races where the computer tells you to 'speed up' or 'slow down' :D

On top of all that, you have bluetooth for connectivity, wireless networking, a camera for pics & video recording, MP3s(!!!) and probably other stuff when it comes out ( replace the ECU with the PC?)

The toughest thing about buying a handheld PC is getting used to the idea that ALL the stuff you used to do with pencil & paper ( phonebook, notes, camera & video, mp3s/music, MAPS, etc., can be replaced by this one unit-

IF you remember to keep the battery charged!!! :finger:

...............The toughest thing about buying a handheld PC is getting used to the idea that ALL the stuff you used to do with pencil & paper ( phonebook, notes, camera & video, mp3s/music, MAPS, etc., can be replaced by this one unit-QUOTE]

you used to do camera, video, and mp3 with pencil and paper?????? :D