IGNORED

Door weather seals, OEM ???

peng155

Here's a question to all...

What makes an Nissan/Datsun OEM part, an OEM part aside from being sold by an authorized Nissan dealer??

Reason I ask is that I called Courtesy Nissan to order a set for the door's, the parts guy came back with a price of $125.00 for one side, and $115.00 for the other,

When I confirmed with the parts guy that this was for a 71 Z, he said that these seals would work on all Z's from 70 -78. After reading all of the articles on the board about after market seals being different in thickness due to a change in door gap(?) It makes me wonder if these are original factory spec seals, Thus my question if Nissan is farming the manufacturing of the seals out, and is going to a one size fit all approach... is it still OEM??

Not sure if I'm making sense here, if not I'll try and clarify myself further..

Thanks

I'm just guessing here but, from the prices that you were quoted I'd guess that those were OEM or original Nissan seals.

There are aftermarket seals available for half that price. Which one is better? OEM more than likely, but the aftermarket ones are pretty good copies. Your going to get different oppinions on this. Some will say that the aftermarket ones are junk others will say they have had no problems with them. I think a lot depends on how good of a job you do putting them on your car.

I'm also just guessing but I think that the OEM seals are probably the improved versions that came with the 280Z. It's not uncommon for a Nissan part to supersede another part. I know that the aftermarket kit from Precision is actually a 280Z kit and there are a couple of pieces in the kit that aren't used on a 240Z. The door seals seem to be those that cause people the most problems. Some suggest that the OEM seals are much better for the doors because they're made out of a softer rubber that compresses better.

I have a set of the aftermarket seals that I got from MSA, I'm debating on weather to use them or not. I won't be installing them, I'm having the body shop that is doing the paint job put new seals all the way around. I just have to get them for the shop.

From the posts that I've read about the door seals problems, re-alignment of the door is a must when new seals are installed. So do I take my chance with the after market seals, or get the OEM ones???

If MikeW is correct, than the seals I have now are probably 280z seals??, and the ones I get from Courtesy will be the same as what I have??

I hate having to do something twice, when I could have done it right once the first time.

I understood what MikeW was saying in his post... But does that mean the OEM door seals that you get from Nissan now a days are the thicker 280 seals.. as opposed to the thinner early 240 seals??

Again, best to ask them what they are selling you IMO.

The ones I got from Courtesy were 240Z seals.

I am told the way to tell them apart in addition to the part number is that 240Z seals do not have the welting built into the seal, the 280Z seals do.

Not a stupid question

On 240Z's there is a rubber or vinyl covered "U" shaped piece (it has steel "grippers" inside of it) that slips over the weatherseal to helps secure it to the chassis and it also acts as a sort of "finisher" piece.

On the 280Z weatherseals, I'm told that the weatherseal and the welting are built as a one piece deal.

Hey thanks for the info Carl....

I think I lucked out I checked the door weatherseals and neither one of them had the built in welting... So at this point I'm going to assume I have the early stock 240 door seal.

Car gets trailered to the paint shop tomorrow to get new paint and seals.... I'm getting EXCITED!!!!

Gee guys, I've just spent $189.00 for each "t top" seals. $150 for the hatch back seal, and the list goes on. Seals for the "Z CARS" are costly....but when you gotta have them what do you. I purchased my through MSA & Victoria British. Good luck.