IGNORED

Time for a rebuild!

zoe the z

I'm thinking that im starting to save my money...i have a check in hand that would give me $1300 more in funds if it is real and actually goes through, so i have decided it is time for the rebuild.

I'm thinking these will be the steps...

1.Flat tops Pistons & rings

2.Stage III cam kit from MSA

3.Fuel pressure regualator

4.cold air & k&n filter

5. electric fan

6.New gaskets

That is what i have in my basket right this second but this is my first rebuild and i had some questions... Like bigger valves?? in a rebuild like im talking about should bigger valves be on my list...and if so how much would it cost?

I want to do this right...so anybody that wants to teach me anything about anything comment. I'm looking to run around 14.5ish so if you know of anything that would help you let me know i hope to get some good information thank you.

...im a 18 year old kid you want to learn about the world...but wants to start with z's.

joshua james aguirre

Since you ahven't stated what kind of engine you are starting with, it's hard to be specific with advice.

You'll need more than $1300 for a rebuild and the upgrade you describe.

First thing I'd recommend ins the books How to Rebuild Datsun Engines, and How to Modify datsun Engines. You can get them through Motorsport Auto and these are great book which will be invaluable to you i this job.

If I was doing the cam upgrade that you mention on my stock L24 I would certainly go for larger valves, but for all I know, you may have a 300ZX TT.

ed when you talk about arp bolts to replace old ones, which bolts is it most necessary to replace? I am just about to begin the rebuild, and I have my datsun engine rebuild book on the way

I agree! I'm interested which bolts are important to replace with ARP also. I've been seeing some on eBay lately but not only are they pricey but the seller is not very helpful as far as what bolts are included. :disappoin

ed when you talk about arp bolts to replace old ones, which bolts is it most necessary to replace? I am just about to begin the rebuild, and I have my datsun engine rebuild book on the way

As a MINIMUM replace the connecting rod bolts. The other bolts you could re-use depending on what they look like. They don't have to be ARP unless you plan to do something radical to the engine (11:1). Stock rebuild use stock bolts.

im sorry i forgot to mention. its a 76 280z with an N42 head i believe

The N42 already has the large valves. They do however have the softer bronze intake seats which tend to "sink" with time. Take the head to a shop and have the intake seats replaced with hardended steel. Then a little porting wouldn't hurt to match the seats with the port also get a 3 angle valve job. Besides that the N42 is a very good head to have. Your block should have the dishes pistons. Basically you have a good engine to start with. My opinion is rebuild by replacing bearings and rings. Get the head work done. A good exhaust, ignition and a cam should bring you close to your 14.5 expectations.

BTW I'm not a FI man, but I would think that new injectors would probably help.

I wish I could do more than just a plain stock rebuild, but the funds don't warrent it, as I am doing an entire restoration. There will be a paint job soon to come and many other purcahses along with it. So in my case a stock rebuild will be all I can afford. I can always add more later

I am doing the whole restoration process because I am scarred to death of rust. I really can't wait to take the car all apart and get rid of any oxidation and rot. I mean it’s the cars worst enemy. Seeing rust on her is like an open wound, or as we all say, cancer.

Like Schevets said, do what is necessary first, and add the other stuff later.