IGNORED

New seals - Doors wont close

Hunter21

I just finished putting my door seals on and the door only partially closes. I've read that people have had the same problem but couldnt find how to fix it. Some said to use baby oil but i dont know...

If any one has over came this problem i would greatful for your advice on how to solve it.

Thanks,

Hunter

Howdy,

This is very common when putting on new weatherstripping. Over time they will get easier to close. You will want to make sure that the doors are properly aligned. Read this link

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12484

Essentially, by putting on the new weatherstripping you "will" have to realign them. It's just the nature of the beast.

Best Regards,

Landmizzle '72 240Z

I just finished putting my door seals on and the door only partially closes. I've read that people have had the same problem but couldnt find how to fix it. Some said to use baby oil but i dont know...

If any one has over came this problem i would greatful for your advice on how to solve it.

Thanks,

Hunter

Ditto Landmizzle's post.

Part of the problem is that the very early Z's and the later Z's (and I'm not sure when it happened) had a slightly different dimension between the closed door and the door frame opening. The later Z's had a thicker weatherstrip which on the earlier Z's causes the problem you mention. Unfortunately, it is this newer weatherstripping that's readily available that is thicker than the one your car requires. Also, even if it were the exact year that the rubber was made for, there will also be some time before the weatherstrip gets "crushed" to shape.

Just remember that when you adjust your doors, that you adjust them to fit the body and opening properly, and force the weatherstrip to adjust.

2¢

Enrique

with the PRP w/s kit i put on about a month ago, which actually kinda worried me. The door closed perfectly with the new seals but i guess the 78's have more clearance than the early Z's. Got mine from zspecialties.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I replaced the weatherstripping on one of my doors and initially it didn't close. I sprayed the weatherstripping with silicone for two days in a row then finally it closed. I've treated it twice since and the door is closing just fine. Thanks to gnosez for such great advice.