IGNORED

VIN Decoding

jszarecki

7 hours ago, Dynamaxx19 said:

I have a 1978 Datsun 2 dr 260Z with a back seat but the vin number says HLS30 and under model on the title it just says HLS-30...

If the car has a "back seat" (ie, it's a 2+2) and it doesn't have a letter 'G' in the chassis prefix, then it's an impostor. And if it was indeed built in 1978, and was for the north American market, then it was never a '260Z' whether 2-seater or 2+2.

You're not describing it very well, either way. Is it a 2-seater or a 2+2? All S30-series Zs are "2 dr". Does it have a North American market door jamb tag and dash tag, or not? When you mention "vin number", are you referring to the full number engraved on the firewall sheetmetal (have you checked it?) and not just the tag in the engine bay?

7 hours ago, wheee! said:

European model? Left hand drive means Germany or France maybe?

Not with an HLS30-prefixed chassis number and that build year. 'European' mainland market would only be RLS30 ('260Z') and GRLS30 ('260Z 2+2') from late 1973 through 1978.

8 hours ago, Dynamaxx19 said:

I have a 1978 Datsun 2 dr 260Z with a back seat but the vin number says HLS30 and under model on the title it just says HLS-30 but since they did not sell the 260 in 78 in the USA then I am not sure where it came from or what this really is then.

Can any one help?

http://xenonzcar.com/s30/VIN.html