IGNORED

Removing stuck nut

Alfadog

Hello! I have a new problem today, namely a nut that won't come undone. The trouble is the bolt has been mangled and so the nut won't come off the end. Additionally, the bolt has been damaged and rotates pretty freely, so if I turn too hard the whole nut & bolt turns, instead of just the nut.

I am happy to saw the entire thing off if that's my only option, as it is not essential. I don't know how though (not enough room for any kind of saw I know of).

Please see the attached pics, can anyone help? :dead:

post-1243-14150794815916_thumb.jpg

post-1243-14150794816237_thumb.jpg

Lachlan,

What about filing two flat sides onto the bolt then backing the nut back on. Then clean up the nasty end of the bolt bu either file or hacksaw (Removing the end of the bolt) And then undoing the nut straight off?

I think I have a spare rear light panel somewhere, not sure if it's left or right. If you need to replace a mangled one.

Hey thanks for all the help guys! I ended up using a small blade from a hacksaw and got it off that way. Surprisingly didn't take too much effort anyway.

Thanks for the offer Bruce, but it's not really mangled, just means one of the six bolts cant be used anymore :classic:

• 7 years later...

ive taken 4 tail light garnishes off and 3 of them had threads that would spin. One i managed to get vice grips on thread and undo nut, subsequently stuffing the thread, and the other 2 i just used a grinder

On my first Z in 1977 I had a nut on a half shaft that was rusted on Back then I didn't know you guys and couldn't get good info that way. Not knowing any better I used a cold chisel and drove it into the side of the nut until there was a loud crack and it was loose.