IGNORED

Part # for 240Z windshield??

LanceM

I'm hoping that someone can look up a good part # for me for a 73 240Z windshield. Considering the fun (NOT) that I had with my aftermarket fender I would like to drop by the dealer and give him a number and see if it's available, and since this is a Nissan dealer it would sure help to have the # in hand. Also I heard somewhere that some of the aftermarket windshields didn't fit right and I don't want to go through that nightmare with a windshield!!!

Also I heard somewhere that some of the aftermarket windshields didn't fit right and I don't want to go through that nightmare with a windshield!!!

You may have heard that from me. The aftermarket windshield I ordered had a slightly different curvature and cracked during installation. That may have been just a bad example. If I had it to do over again I'd just have someone come to my house or office and do the installation. If they break it that's their problem. I would make sure that a new gasket is part of the deal or I'd provide my own.

"I'm hoping that someone can look up a good part # for me for a 73 240Z windshield"

The part number you need is 72631E4100. However Carl is correct that Nissan no longer carries it either here or in Japan. One did just recently go on eBay for about $800. You never know maybe a dealer has one collecting dust on his shelves.

Installation can be tricky. I would definitely recommend a new weatherstrip and a profession. Then hold your breath while they slap on it to slide in!

Ah you guys are killing me! Thanks for the # I'll stop by and try anyway, like you said you just never know. The worst part is mine is gone, busted, hauled away so taking it somewhere is sort of out of the question and I live like 35 miles from anywhere that does things like that so cost could be a killer for install.... Might have to give the insurance man a "rock hit it" call :))

Hay guys[and gals] I hate to say this but nissan has been using an after market source for windshields for at least 8 years now, that I know of.the part you get is a rebox.just because it says nissan does'nt mean they made it.think about it,1970-78z now its 05' how many windshields do you think they really made?the last order of windshields I ordered from nissan[20],only half were nos parts and even then most of them were reboxed.I have ordered

this part from coast to coast for years with the same results.some times you'll get luckly and get the real thing.Heres a question,can anyone tell me the real differance between stock and aftermarket winshields?besides the nissan name.and don't try to tell me it "fits" better.

P#72631-E4100

JZM

I bought a windshield from Nissan last June. $275. It was on order for six weeks and the day after the parts guy called to tell me it wasn't looking good, he called back to tell me it was in. It came in a Nissan bag with a "Made in Japan" decal / sticker on it, and the etching in the corner includes the Nissan logo. I am 99% positive that Nissan is no longer carrying the windshield. but having them aftermarket made for years as JZM suggests makes perfect sense to me. Yes, some guy DID just pay $800 for a new windshield on eBay. He also paid $400 to have it boxed up and shipped. It is going on a concours restoration.

?besides the nissan name.and don't try to tell me it "fits" better.

One thing about the replacement I ordered (made by PPG) was that it noticeably thinner than the original. I'm sure the glass or laminate layer is better these days so it probably doesn't matter.

The aftermarket windshield I ordered had a slightly different curvature and cracked during installation.

Hi Mike, so you eventually got an aftermarket one into the car? Was it the same maker? My 73's has some small pits and is not that bad but I got a quote anyway from a local installer for $110. And I think it was PPG also.

Curious,

Chris

Hi Mike, so you eventually got an aftermarket one into the car? Was it the same maker? My 73's has some small pits and is not that bad but I got a quote anyway from a local installer for $110. And I think it was PPG also.

No, sorry, I've still got the scratched and pitted original but did a lot of polishing on it. The aftermarket windshield that broke was the PPG and it was noticeably thinner and appeared to not be shaped right. I'd say $110 is great if they'll put it in for that. My problem was that the place where I was getting my car painted was out of the delivery area for the glass guys so I had them just bring it to me and I let the paint guy try to install it.