IGNORED

Crankcase breather?

bluezcowboy

Are there any downsides to the little filters, as opposed to venting the gas back into the air filter, if you have that option?

Also, Tomahawk, you are probably aware that if you pull the hose to the valve cover on an F. I. engine, the engine will die.

An oil catch tank works & functions like a crankcase vent filter. In most vehicles, the vented gas & oil are recycled back into the vehicle air intake piping just before the throttle body. An oil catch tank will bypass the connection between the crankcase & air induction intake piping. This will help in relieving the pressure placed against the valve train under severe engine loads. Unlike other small crankcase filter, the Oil Catch Tank will prevent oil dripping onto adjacent engine components. The tank will catch or collect excess engine oil that is vented out by the valve train. This will ensure a clean engine compartment and maintain the custom look of the engine, and at the same time, maximizes engine performance.

In the USA K & N sells the small filters. The filter will load up with oil eventually, so it would require cleaning occasionally to prevent drips and a messy engine bay. If your car has to pass emissions tests I don't think it would be considered legal (at least in CA) Our Smog Check program is fairly picky.

**Oooh, Oooh, more "legal" advice!!

Before you think of putting one of those cute little K&N filters on your v/cover try removing your oil filler cap or your oil dip stick. just to see how it runs-did it die?

EFI crankcase systems are sealed.unless you have an aftermarket cam I would keep

it sealed.

Before you think of putting one of those cute little K&N filters on your v/cover try removing your oil filler cap or your oil dip stick. just to see how it runs-did it die?

EFI crankcase systems are sealed.unless you have an aftermarket cam I would keep

it sealed.

The person who started this thread (bluezcowboy) installed Triple Webers, so I don't think he has EFI crankcase systems to worry about.

But Tomohawk does have EFI to be concerned about.

Catch cans are a good way to go. Was going to post a picture of my set up, but Carl's last picture link was my car.

I used an old rear window washer bottle from a BMW (free at junkyard).

I have just changed to ITG air cleaners so the float bowl fuel vent lines will be tee'd together with the vent also going to my catch can (puke tank). The differential and transmission breathers will also be vented to tank.

The tank has a drain on the bottom to a rubber hose pluged with a bolt and tie wrap for periodic draining at oil change time.

I used all braided lines, but plain rubber hose would work just fine.