IGNORED

15" Rewinds

Go240Zags

Dnald,

I'm thinking of buying these wheels for my early 260 right now, but I'm concerned about rubbing issues. Could you tell us what tire size you are running? I'm thinking of going 225/50R15.

I have 14x7 Appliance wheels on the car right now wtih 225/60R14 tires, and I do have rubbing problems.

Thanks,

ive got 225/60/15's. Big muthas. Only the back tires are rubbing. Perhaps i shouldve gotten 50's.

orange260z:

Frankly, I would get narrower tires and avoid the issue, but that is just me.

dnald:

As for how to gain a 1/2", some people (not me) suggest rolling the fender lip upward which will gain you some room. I don't know if it will be enough. Other than that I have no idea. Sorry

orange260z:

Frankly, I would get narrower tires and avoid the issue, but that is just me.

dnald:

As for how to gain a 1/2", some people (not me) suggest rolling the fender lip upward which will gain you some room. I don't know if it will be enough. Other than that I have no idea. Sorry

Would getting 225/50/15's instead of 60's likely solve the problem?

I have 205/60/14 on wheels with a -12 offset which makes the tire 4.5" from the mating surface of the hub to the outside edge. The 225/50 or 60 on a 0 offset wheel like the Rewind is 4.42" from the mating surface. My tires do not rub and if you look down the side of the car they are to the edge of the fender. The tires I have are very small in diameter at 23.7" VS the 225/60/15 at 25.6". That leeds me to think the rubing issue is with the large diameter of the 225/60/15. The 225/50/15 is 24" in diameter so it probably would not rub on a 0 offset wheel. A lot of people use the 225/50/15 size tire and offset wheel without problems such as Victor Laury. I also run racing tires that are 264/36/15 with a -12 offset wheel. They go past the fender about one inch (5.66" from the hub surface to the outer edge) but do not rub because they are only 22.5" tall.

Howdy all...

So this afternoon I did a little experiment... I borrowed a Z friend's set of 0 offset 15x7 Centerlines (with 225/50R15 Toyo RA1s), and tried test fitting on my car.

Immediately we could see that the outer edge of the tires was WITHIN the fender line.

After rolling the car back and forth a few times, we bounced the car up and down to the bump stops, to see if the tires hit either the lip of the fender (where my current tires hit) or on the outer part of the inner fender (right where the fender starts to flare out).

The tires just cleared the fender lip, and did not make contact anywhere. I guess that mean's I'll have to order up a set of gunmetal 15" Rewinds!!!

cheers,

The brand of tire makes a difference too. Some manufactures 225 are as wide as 9.4" and others are 8.8". Thre is a guy running Bridgestone so3 225/50's; they are 9.3' wide and he has no clearance problems. My 205 are 8.6" wide which is wider than 215mm. It would nice if the size stated on the sidewall was acurate.