IGNORED

Hitachi "SU" part numbers

mperdue

And my manual doesn't mention the HJL model - not sure what that is Chris.

I can only assume this but, in my 71 FSM, on the page where it showed the two different types, it mentioned something about the US and Canada. Maybe that is the difference. I recall reading somewhere that the Canadian cars had less parts on the intake system than the US cars. Maybe that difference called for different carbs. Mystery to me. I would have to believe that the 3 screw carb has a different number than the 4 screw carb. And the ones that have the water heating would certainly be different. My 72 had water heated carbs versus my 71's being non heated.

Chris

Michael;

I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to. I didn't even look at the 2bbl carb section, since we weren't discussing them here. I have no idea who manufactured them, or even which market(s) received them.

I read and photgraphed only the first pages of the "SU Type" sections of the Fuel System part of the manual, where P/N's were mentioned.

I didn't realize you were looking at the '73 carbs. I thought you were referring to the other type of carb in the '72 manual. Nevermind.

So on one on the site has a '70 manual? Or am I just on too many ignore lists? LOL

michael

I have '70 manuals as well as parts books. I still don't understand what is being asked in this thread. So far, I have seen several different model numbers of Hitachi / SU carburetors discussed. Some technical specifications have been discussed. But "part numbers" keep coming up and I don't understand why we just don't look up the carbs in the parts books like the one sold on this site. I figure everyone has one of those? The part number for the HJG46W-3A assembly that fits on the North American import 240Z up to 8-71 is 16010-E4301. Is that what you are asking for?

Chris, I believe Michael is looking for different "model" numbers not Nissan part numbers. He's after the different "HJG" type numbers on the carbs. We have the numbers for up to 8-71 but can't seen to find any for the carbs after that production date. Excluding the flat tops.

Did that clear it up for you?

Chris

I don't understand why we just don't look up the carbs in the parts books like the one sold on this site.

Tried that. The fiche doesnt list "model" numbers after the 8-71 date. At least my copy of the fiche doesnt. And its the CD sold here at the site.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm not necessarily looking for Nissan P/N's, more the Hitachi P/N's like the one you just listed. So far we have info from the '71 and '72 FSM, so I was wondering if there was any difference in '70 model. But if I had been paying closer attention I woudl have noticed that ChrisA may have already answered that when he posted that his number is "up to 8/71", like you just said. I guess I missed that. But to be sure I would like to compare the spec details in the '70 FSM.

Now as for why I'm doing this: I'm trying to figure out how the various "SU" type carbs differ and what parts interchange. I'm not only looking at the Z carbs, but also Roadster, 510, 210 "GX" carbs, and any others I can find. Once I have the specs I'll go looking for pics to see if there are visual differences to match. Ztherapy's site is a good place to start for that, but unfortunately they just don't link the pics up to P/N's. The reason is I'd like to use my Z carbs on my other dat, but don't know if the SU's interchange. While I'm at it I might as well gather together as much useful info as possible to fill in more pieces of the puzzle.

Michael

There would be one really easy answer to this study and that would be to call and talk to Steve Epperly the owner of ZTherapy about what fits what and what doesn't. Steve has done about every SU (Hitachi or otherwise) swap in the western world and has built linkage for them as well. Call me at 503-587-9800 and I'll hook you up with Steve.

Cheers.............

Well I may have found what I really needed. There were 2 different sized Hitachi "SU" carbs - 1.5" bore and 1.75". The 1.75" (or 46mm) carbs were used on the 2.0L Roadster and the 240Zs. The 1.5" (38mm) bore ones were used on early Roadsters, 510's, and the 1200GX which is the one I'm interested in. So basically the Z carbs I have won't bolt right up to the manifold I was hoping to use them with because the manifold bore is smaller. There are other differences betweem models that i haven't quite figured out yet.

Also the size comes right out of the part number: HJG46W is 46mm etc. I'm still not 100% whether or not the later 510s moved to the 46mm bore later. Anyone know of any other Datsuns that used Hitachi "SU"s?

Michael

I'm still not 100% whether or not the later 510s moved to the 46mm bore later. Anyone know of any other Datsuns that used Hitachi "SU"s?

The 510's were not fitted with the 46's. Any that you might have seen are modifications. the SSS manifold was for the 38's

RL411 - twin 38's set on an angle with a different float bowl mounting.

Nissan made limited product, development model or racing market manifolds to install twin Hitachi SU's on just about every enigine. Last week, Les showed me the almost "one off" twin SU (English SUs) manifold for the 1961 Fairlady SP212, famous for being the first Nissan raced in the U.S. Wow 62 Whole horses (at the flywheel) in racing trim! Hang on!

Michael,

I am running 46s on my 2300 LZ motor in my 510 wagon. Bolted to an opened up 2 bolt manifold with custom center links. Steve also modifies the 2 bolt 4 cyl manifold to 4 bolt mount and we are even making 4 bolt 46mm heat shields for the 4 cylinder head........ Of course as the company sales guy I'll be the last to get one on my car, don't ya know..... Like the shoemakers kids kinda thing....... Anyway this stuff has been in the hopper for years so don't be afraid to ask.

Thanks Victor. I haven't seen any 510's with 46's but I was wondering if they went to the larger ones later. Looks like they didn't.

Bruce, do you know if Ztherapy has an A series dual "SU" manifold? There are 2 different ones - I need the later one with the oval head ports. It should be for 38mm carbs. Also there is a "cross-flow" manifold made by Lynx in Australia but I'm having trouble getting info on that (mainly the shape of the head ports). It's designed to fit HS4 SU's which are used on Mini's, MGs and other British cars. But I think the bolt pattern is the same for the 38mm Hitachi SUs but I'm not sure yet - still looking for info on that. I know the HS4's have 2 bolts per carb, 3" centers at 45 degrees. Does that sound like a Hitachi 38mm bolt pattern? Thanks for the help

Michael