IGNORED

Poll: Should we prevent gallery downloads?

Mike

Should Gallery Images be Protected from Download?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gallery Images be Protected from Download?

• Yes! I do NOT want people downloading my images!
    • No. I don't care if people download my images.
    • This is a stupid poll. Images aren't that important and I don't care.

There is a button above the Insert Button called Print Screen..... Its on everybodies keyboard, and regardless of if you disable downloads I can still go to your gallery, hit that button, open up Paint, and paste the screen contents into paint... A little crop and adjust and save as a jpeg and I'm done....

Or if they are really determined they can just find out where the file is saved and grab it from there.

Yes, disabling right click would slow some people down, but anyone determined to get your pic can do it. Personally I wouldn't do it, but I'm just saying that this is pointless if people are determined to try and get your picture, they are going to do it.

Well some interesting points, I too had thought we could implement an option to allow the individual to select if they want to protect their gallery but as Mike said it's not that simple. There would be a fair bit of code and research to do something like this.

I had an assignment recently which just involved using Java to mail merge 2 documents and I found that pretty tough. :paranoid: .

Another good option was to make galleries only accessible to registered members. That way visitors looking for images to rip off will at least have to go through the membership process and more often than not they are in a hurry to find appropriate material and will go elsewhere.

The new system is annoying because you can't copy and paste text. The right click function is more than just an image saver. All it does is slow the process down and frustrate legitimate members. :sleep: .

I think the best thing is user discretion (spelling?) and if you do wish to post something else where at least provide a link to the original place it came from and some description.

So I'm voting for No protection :P .

I don't know about the rest of you, but it just doesn't feel even close to the same with protection! If I am going to do it, I want all the feeling I can get!

I don't see our form of protection as being effective-maybe we should try the patch!!

ROFL

Will

...Sorry, I just couldn't contain myself...maybe that's why we are expecting!

Honestly,

This is utterly pointless, you CANNOT stop someone from getting an image if they want it. And there is one easy way around it. If you are so uptight that you are worried someone will steal your pic. Dont put it up. Simple.

Sure it will stop 5% of people disabling right click, but an ever growing number of computer literate people and those with Windows XP (automatically gives you an option to save the pic on mouse hover) can get around it. Its not hard.

If you want to share your pics, and share being the word, thats why they are up there people! Put them up. If you dont want people taking them, dont put them up. But remember, you cant put something on display without the risk of it being copied or taken, ask any museum or art gallery.

Thats all i have to say.

I voted "I don't care if they download" But what weight does that really have? To those who do care, the very fact that they "Care" means more. Speaking only for myself, I've always been flattered when a photo of my car shows up somewhere without my knowing. If you look at Classicdatsun.com in the roadster section, scroll down to the "BRE Spook" blurb, there's my car, right after I installed mine. Les's partner, Dennis, put that photo up without my permission. He did ask me after the fact, and I just thought it was cool. Hey I maybe a nobody, but my car is famous!

I understand that photos that I post on a public site can be seen by anyone & will probably be downloaded at some time. The photos that I don´t want flying around the web are safely on my hard disk ! The watermark showing the clubs logo, web site address & maybe the details of the person who posted the photo is fine by me.

I don't see what the debate is all about. If you post or download anything to a public forum , it's out there. If you don't want it copied or printed don't send it in the first palace. To me it's like having a beautifull car in the garage and no one gets to enjoy seeing it or riding in it . It's a waist . If you take a picture of your car and it is admired by others take price in that fact that they enjoy the picture as you do. If you post it out there , soon as you hit the send it's out of your controll . I know all the stuff about the laws and copyright stuff but really get a grip. This may all have been said in a post before me ,but honestly I just skimmed the thread , as I find it silly .My 2c Gary

I haven't been a long time member of this site, but i assume that there aren't any a'holes downloading pictures of things that belong to someone else to show off or what not. as everyone should be doing for safety of all reasons, just block out the license plate number. if people are downloading pictures off of someone else then the owner should feel good that they like it and want to keep it for memory or something. i'm sure there aren't people downloading for a stupid reason. honestly, i would like to download other people's pictures because i look up to what they've done and how it looks. i use it for memory and advice, if that's not a crime.