IGNORED

Fuel/Brake Line Cleaning - Photos

drunkenmaster

When I did my lines the fuel return line was the only one that was plugged. I tried running a wire through it but I guess it was too thin it went in to the first 90 degree turn and then stopped, and the wire would bend where I tried to push it in. Maybe because it's a real skinny line? Luck for me the plug was close to the end. I poked then I used the compressed air to clear. I noticed that if you blow air at a 90 degree angle to the opening it acts as a vacume and sucks out the debree.

You could try putting a short length of plastic tubing over the end of a line and blow solvent through it that way, using the air gun you don't have :) Don't know what solvent, can't see that turps would do any harm although metho would be better for brake lines.

Mate you have to get an air compressor. That, a bench grinder and pedestal drill in that order are the go for us home mechs.

:)

I did in fact get a compressor and have been having a bit of fun with it, I bought a cheap accessories kit which included a blow gun, which i filled with turps and shot it through all the lines, followed by compressed air to dry it out. Fuel lines worked a treat, one concern was the brake lines as the turps pretty much entirely shot out the shorter drivers side arm after the divider, almost nothing coming out of the longer passenger side arm. Is this normal or do i have a problem?

The second problem I encountered was fitting the lines back to the car. It seems my great frame rail extensions were not completely well thought out as the obstruct the steel lines now as pictured. I fitted the lines along the length of the car anyhow, but they hag a bit low near the obstruction and I couldnt fit the 2 brackets in that area.

Opinions?

post-3894-14150794292517_thumb.jpg

post-3894-14150794293172_thumb.jpg

Blow through both ends of each line would be the go.

The frame rail extension idea is a good one, didn't know about that idea when my 260 was rebuilt. It would be good if the lines could be routed alongside the rail rather than underneath it. That way they get some protection and are much less likely to be damaged in use.

They are along side the rail, but in the picture you can see that where the new rail extension bends up toward the rear of the car, it is blocking where the lines should go and in the picture the bracket cannot be fastened due to the interferrence. I may just make some sort of spacer, but it was a hastle all the same, it caused tension right along the car making it awkward to fasten alot of other brackets.

I used the compressor on all ends, but it feels a lot more restricted on the longer passenger side brake line, maybe it is clogged.