IGNORED

Fuel/Brake Line Cleaning - Photos

drunkenmaster

Ok, spent the best part of Sunday degreasing, scouring, wire brushing and painting my solid brake/fuel lines and all the associated metal brackets, I think this is now bordering on eccentric as I knew full well the would be fine in their oxidised slightly rusted form, but I just couldn't bare to put any sign of rust onto my nice clean car.

post-3894-14150794235353_thumb.jpg

post-3894-14150794235704_thumb.jpg

post-3894-14150794236063_thumb.jpg

post-3894-14150794236303_thumb.jpg

I am finally almost done installing all of my solid brake lines. The last I have is that long one that runs front to back. I havent removed it yet so that is my question, how tough is it to really get out and work with?

SuDZ

Just a little reminder on cleaning your fuel and brakes lines. Double check to insure all lines are clear of stuff that may restrict fluid flow. No sence in doing all that work to make them look good, install them, and then discover there is some sort of restriction in the line. Better to clean twice and install once!!! Also, regarding the fuel circuit....double check your fuel tank for old build up and or debris. The tank is usually the source of stuff restricting proper fuel flow, as it travels down your REALLY CLEAN lines. Again, just a friendly reminder!

I am finally almost done installing all of my solid brake lines. The last I have is that long one that runs front to back. I havent removed it yet so that is my question, how tough is it to really get out and work with?

SuDZ

The difficulty I found with the long rear brake line is that you have to undo the clamps holding in the fuel lines at the same time. Taking all fuel/brake lines out is not a problem, but getting all the lines back in the car again takes a lot of adjusting and fiddling to make them fit up properly. Not difficult, but just fiddly especially if you dont have a car pit to work in.

You could just take out the long brake line on its own and leave the fuel lines in, but you still need to undo the clamps for the fuel lines anyway. Do your fuel lines not need any work, or have you already done them?

Hope it helpd

Andrew

Just a little reminder on cleaning your fuel and brakes lines. Double check to insure all lines are clear of stuff that may restrict fluid flow. No sence in doing all that work to make them look good, install them, and then discover there is some sort of restriction in the line. Better to clean twice and install once!!! Also, regarding the fuel circuit....double check your fuel tank for old build up and or debris. The tank is usually the source of stuff restricting proper fuel flow, as it travels down your REALLY CLEAN lines. Again, just a friendly reminder!

What is considered the best way do do this?

I would think high pressure fluid down the lines, but I hardly want to shoot water downthere.

James, I don't know if I would call it the best way, but I just used compressed air after washing the inside with solvent. I also fed a SS wire down the lines to make sure they were clear. Hope this helps a bit. Remember to check for debris in your tank as well!

If you use water to clean the inside of any metal lines, use compressed air afterwards to help dry the inside.

I used solvent, then compressed air, and then left the lines out in the sun on a 90 degree day to ensure the inside was clean and dry. From that point on I used rubber plugs to keep dirt and moisture out of the lines while I painted and re-installed them.