IGNORED

Rally Navigator Lingo

TomoHawk

I saw one of those TV shows where(WRC- France) they talked to some co-drivers & crew, and it was mentioned that they send over a team (probably including the co-driver) to survey the course. Sometimes the co-driver will go over the course twice to check the notes.

Talk about good memory-- Some of the Paris-Dakar drivers have been there more than once, and their good memories have saved their butts occasionally but not taking a wrong turn from the year before.

Atocross drivers will literally walk the course. Something I doubt the WRC co-drivers will do. OR the Paris-Dakar co-drivers. LOL

A useful thing to help observers of in-car rally action interpret the calls of the co driver, is to keep in mind that the co driver is often calling the feature that is often one, sometimes two, features ahead of the actual feature they might be negotiating at the time.

This assists the driver to set the car up for the next feature as it exits the current corner.

The "Oh S---" call for rollovers reminded me of the in car video of Ari Vatanen and Co driver Terry Harryman in an Opel Manta? on the 1983 Manx Rally. Vatanen was fully on the loud pedal despite a deflating tyre and got the car crossed up at high speed as he approached a cattle grid (narrow heavy duty iron frame that allows vehicle traffic but has gaps between the transverse rails to stop stock from crossing). The car straightened just as they got to the obstacle and all you could hear inside the car was "Oh my dear lord" as the right foot went down hard on the accelerator again.(Title : In Car Manx 1983 from Duke Marketing)