IGNORED

Rally Navigator Lingo

TomoHawk

hmm...

Well... here are some common rally naivagtor lingo...

Typically it goes like this...

Turns and Speed... on a scale from 1-6. When they say Right 6 for example it means a gentle gradual turn which you can keep heavy throttle throughout the turn. And a 1, would be a very difficult turn, usually a 90* degree turn or more that requires massive braking. So 6 being easy and down towards 1 being the hardest.

Care : Hazardous

Caution : Very Hazardous

Crest : Rise in terrain hides track beyond.

Jump : Rise in terrain that if taken at speed, wil jump the car into the air. Remember once your tires leave the ground, you have zero control of the car.

Long : A long Corner

Very Long : an extended long corner

Turn : a corner at a road junction

Opens : Corner widens on exit

Tightens : Corner becomes tighter on exit

Narrows : Road Narrows

Don't Cut : Do not drive across the apex of the corner

Straight : Hold a straight line through the coming bends

Bends : Ripples in the terrain which could unsettle your suspension.

Professional drivers also mention distance in Meters.. like

3 left, 100, over crest.

This means, slow down for a left turn, in 100 meters, over the crest.

Hope this helps :)

• 6 months later...

Time to revive this thread! I'm a huge fan of WRC and I've been paying carefull attention to co-driver jargin. I find it a lot of fun to take a little windy section of road and make your own pace notes for it. For example, I made some pace notes that leads me into the mountains to my girlfriend's house, hehe.

Here's and example of something I'd do.

Long 5th gear turn to the right which tightens at the exit, 50 meters of straight followed by a 2nd gear hairpin to the left, then 30 meters over a crest, finally a light right turn that opens into a straight.

lg5R-, 50, hp2L, 30oc, es4R+.

How did you make your notes? Did you just keep them in memory while you drive? Probably using a tape recorder and somebody with a good eye and a fast tongue. I'm sure it takes a LONG time to get the notes right; Maybe even several trips over the same route. I'll bet they use a bigger font with one or two items per line, so you can keep your place easier.

Most of all... a thick anti-seasickness armpatch. LOL

How did you make your notes? Did you just keep them in memory while you drive?

The lot of WRC co-drivers are allowed to go over each stage before the rally takes place. They jot the notes down in massive notebooks. If I remember correctly, there's a stage in Germany that required 95 pages of pace notes!

Also, each co-driver has his own code for different rally "moments" so getting a diffinitive guide is kinda difficult. I find it fun to make up your own code, just be creative!