IGNORED

Mark Eggers V8 Z in Hot Rod Magazine

ChrisA

Just got my August edition of Hot Rod. It did a story on the "Pump Gas Drags" They invited 50 of the fastest street cars running pump gas. 41 showed up. Mark Eggers of Clearwater Florida wound up 31st. Here's the story verbatim.

"Coulda, shoulda, woulda: Mark Eggers' combo of a 2,840 pound Nissan Z-car stuffed with 427 cubic inches of Motown small-block had the potential to take it all. Just two weeks before HOT ROD's Pump Gas Drags, it had run 9.35-second average e.t.'s to capture the True Street win at a Pro Edelbrock race-that's a quicker average than this year's Pump Gas Drags winner. Unfortunately, on the Memphis starting line the car bit more than it could chew: a two-bounce wheelie on the first pass did in the oil pan, and the resulting leakage prevented a third pass."

The poor guy ran a 14.62 at 65.84 then ran a 9.25 at 146.38 before the oil pan stopped him. The winner was a 67 Chevelle that ran an average of 9.40 at 141.

Would have been nice for the Z to beat up on all those others. Oh well, even though I dont like V8 conversions it was nice to see a 240Z in HOT ROD. The picture shows him doing " The Most Violent Wheelstand" He's quoted as running a best of 9.10 at 149. That's fast.

Chris

Attached picture better than one of holeshot

post-5906-14150794022082_thumb.jpg

Hey Vicky, from what I've read in HOT ROD and the other mags of the same type, 427 is attainable from a 400 small block chevy with the right bore and stroke and an aftermarket crank. Same old small block Chevy but pumped up to crazy power levels. I can't think of the brand names but I've seen some ads for "new" Chevy small blocks in a wide variety of sizes. 383/406/410/427...it boggles the mind that the aftermarket supports all the different varieties of Chevy stuff.

Chris

P.S. I actually read an article in I think CarCraft a few years ago where they built a 427 small block and called it the "Mighty Mouse". (Because big block Chevy's are called Rats)

There's even a new engine variation from I believe its Motown? A true big block CID of 454 out of a true SBC casting, either in cast iron or for a nice chunk of change extra all Aluminum. Very sick!

I wish someone would do that kinda development for the L engine, but the aftermarket is still so slow to catch up with the Z folk. :devious: