IGNORED

Toyota 4Runner Caliper Year Question

texasz

I have a question about which year 4Runner caliper can be used with the stock rotor. I know that it's the S12 or S12-8 (I have heard both and do not have one in hand to confirm which one it really is but it's NOT the S12W) but on one website it says '79-'83 yet someone on this board told me they used them from an '84. Is the website I have read incorrect or is this person simply mistaken on the year caliper he has?

I think all the S12 calipers are actually marked S12-8, and not just S12.:ermm:

I do know that there are differences between the 4Runner and 4x4 brakes, but not exactly which year they started to be different. While the 4x4 pickups still had the solid rotor, the 4 Runner's upgraded to vented rotors.

I do know there was also a S13W(?) caliper used on the 4 Runners and trucks as well(or possibly just the 4Runner), but don't know the years that they were used and whether or not they will bolt up like the S12's, or if they would need some type of spacer to bolt onto the stock strut housings.

If it's an S12-8, no matter what year it's off( or which model of Toyota), it will work with the stock Z rotors.

Yes but you know how when you go to the parts counter they want to know the make, model, year, etc of the car you need the part for...this is why I need to know this information so that they pull the right part from their shelf. I will of course check it for the proper casting code but have to get them to pull the part first.

If you go to Car-parts.com and enter a year that definitely works, it will give you all of the years that work-a much larger range than most people know about! My S12Ws cores came from an '88!

I bought the spacers from JSK of ebay, and bought brand new Maxima Caliper monts for $45 each from a Nissan dealer on line.

I have yet to get the ss hoses, but I know there is a thread around here somewhere with the particulars in it!

Will

I get a lot of my parts from importedcarparts.com

I went to the Toyota listing and found they have the same part number for the front calipers on the Toyota truck 4x4 from 1979-85. (July '85)

Also the 1984 FourRunner is the same part. In 1985 they list one part for the FourRunner with solid rotors, and another part number for the ones with vented rotors. It would seem that 1985 was the changeover.

In 1988 the FourRunner came out with a V6 model. The V6 that year had different calipers, but the 4-cyl FourRunner has the S12W calipers still. (bolt on the Z but need venter rotors)

Just ask for 1982 or 1983 Toyota 4x4 standard cab truck calipers. Its really that simple. But if you're looking for calipers in a junk yard you'll need some of the info here to help your search. Oh, and the calipers are listed as $49 each for the solid rotor version.

I ordered a $10 caliper from JCWhitney once. I got half of a caliper from some unknown vehicle. (not what I ordered) Lost my shipping cost and had to return the caliper at my own expense. I ended up losing more money on shipping than the caliper cost and it wasn't my mistake! :dead:

S12-8

1979-85 4x4 truck

1984 4-Runner

1985 4-Runner with solid rotors

S12W

1985 4-Runner with vented rotors

1986-91 4-cyl 4-Runner

1986-88 4-cyl 4x4 truck

There was a 2wd FourRunner listed for 1990 only. It uses the S12W calipers as well.

Originally posted by BleachZee

S12-8

1979-85 4x4 truck

1984 4-Runner

1985 4-Runner with solid rotors

S12W

1985 4-Runner with vented rotors

1986-91 4-cyl 4-Runner

1986-88 4-cyl 4x4 truck

Here's the infomation I was hoping to find! And now I also see why there was a bit of confusion (at least on my part). I kept saying 4Runner when I should have really been saying 4x4 truck...my mistake. :stupid:

Thank you BleachZee for the research and information!!

You're welcome!

Now if this web site has a tech section or article on brake conversions that little reference I compiled should be placed there for all to view. Then every week when someone asks this same question a link to the article can be posted. ROFL

Disclaimer: All information provided was compiled from the parts database on www.importedcarparts.com Any mistakes can be blamed on that website. Any compliments can be credited to Bleach.

Originally posted by BleachZee

You're welcome!

Now if this web site has a tech section or article on brake conversions that little reference I compiled should be placed there for all to view. Then every week when someone asks this same question a link to the article can be posted. ROFL

Good point! And there is such a section...I'll let you post it since it was your work (I wouldn't want to appear as though I was trying to steal credit for this info).

Here's a link to the Tech Article forum: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=46

This is all accurate. Not second hand. I have wrenched, cut, and welded on Toyota 4x4's as much as I have on Z's.

There are 3 different Toyota calipers that will work on S30 Z's. 1 solid rotor and 2 vented. Pick ups and 4runners use the same brakes in a given year, only the bodies differ. 84' is the first year for the 4 runners.

I have one of each.

S12+8 Solid rotor, staggerd pistons....

Some of the stampings are the same for solid and vented calipers, the only way to tell if it's for a vented rotor is by checking the distance between the pistons, one is obviously wider. 79-85 4x4 (solid axle) ALL pickups & 4Runner use the same caliper (solid rotor). S12+8 on the outside.

S12+8 Vented rotor with staggered pistons. 1.5" and 1.15" pistons....

86-95 4x4 (IFS) ALL models used a vented rotor. Staggered piston calipers are stamped S12+8 on the outside just as the solid rotor calipers. These are found on 4 cyl. pickups and 4 Runners.

S12W- Vented rotor with 4 larger pistons.....

Later 4x4 V6 4Runners AND pickups have the larger piston calipers. Not just the 4 runners. These have 3 fins on the outside. They are stamped S12W on the back.

If you are looking for the non-staggered vented calipers look for the later model V6's. I know for sure all 93's+ with a V6 have them. I don't know when they started though using them though. V6's were available in 89' in both pickups and 4 runners. If you are unsure check the MC part numbers. The later V6's also used a larger bore. The staggered pistons of the vented and non vented work fine with a stock Z car 7/8 MC for sure. There may be a different stamping on the calipers but there are definately only 3 types of calipers and I'm 100% sure on the year and models above.

There is a third caliper, the S13WB used on the T100 pickups.

I saw one advertised on Ebay as fitting a Z car and e-mailed the seller about his claim. He said he knew of someone who made an adapter to bolt these on and you could use them with the vented rotors, but I don't have confirmation on that.

It would all depend on whether or not the mounting tab spacing is correct and/or if it would need a spacer to center the caliper on the rotor.