IGNORED

July Fast Fours Mag

g260

Check out page 36 of the just released July edition of Fast Fours Magazine for an article on Sydney Z Car Club member Vince Harlor's immaculate 240Z with RB25 motor. (They needed a good 6 cylinder car to show up some of the 4's)

http://www.fastfoursvip.com/default.aspx

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=7020&password=&sort=7&thecat=3095

It's a great article which our US friends will get to see as Fast Fours is to be sold over there from this issue.

g260

It's a pretty nice car, eh? I'm still getting over what he's done to the dash though. I think the zed has one of the nicest modern dashes around, but that remodelling is pretty awful.

It's obviously been done so he could "plug and play" with the dials, but it sure ain't for me..

Yeah I dont like the dash either.

Notice the typo in the story " the blending the skyline binacle with the 240z glovebox" WTF? Is the passenger watching the guages? while the driver steers.ROFL

Those wheels dont suit the car much. Maybe if it was painted black they would.

I agree with your comment about the mags. Old car, new chrome mags looks kinda silly...although I reckon most of those rice-y mags looks crap on just about everything!ROFL

I must admit that the rest of the interior looks pretty nice. Did you notice how he'd changed the centre console to include (I assume) the switches for the electric windows? It also goes to show that MX5 seats look pretty good in a z too.

Yes I saw that article. I must say that I didn't like the car at all. As far as I'm concerned the guy has laid down some irreversible damage to a rare 1970 240z. The dash is horrible, the wheels do not suit the car, and the engine bay looks to have nothing original in it at all.

I'm all for originality, but the guy should have just bought a skyline.

Thats a bit harsh Ripper, for all we know he may have saved the car from being scrapped or rusting away. All the Zeds that I know which have been extensively modded have been ratty cars which have been basically rebuilt.

I don't think that ordinarily anyone would modify a sound, original car. Another thing with a well modded car is that they are usually looked after well, which can't be said for some of the originals I have seen around.

Actually 260DET you are correct, it is quite harsh when people haven't seen what the car was like prior to restoration. Most would have written the car off and whilst the end result may not suit some purists it has actually saved another Z ending up on the rust heap. It's a pity there wasn't a before and after shot in the article.

I believe you have to admire the workmanship and commitment (and cost) to one persons expression in modernising a Z.

As for the dash it is been blended like the rest of the car as an amalgamation of old and new technology and design and incorporated the main part of the Z dash with the speedo of the Skyline.

g260

I bought the mag today.

My opinion is that the mags look homo, but that's not permanent anyhow. With the rest of it though. I am currently buying a 260z which is basically a bucket of rust. Only whole thing left on it is the chassis and the windows.

I know that my engine bay will be much like his as i want an rb25det, although i'll keep the stock dash. I'll be getting mags, but ones that suit it. I am also thinking of getting flares.

And quite seriously, if someone tries to tell me what is or isn't right for my car, i'll tell them to suck it. The point is it's his car, if that's how he likes it, good on him. At least he put the money into making it that way and keeping it good.

Although i agree that car is a bad mix, you can't knock the fact it's his car, so his choice. And like everyone else said, better like that then destroyed.

Yes you guys raise some valid points. However I am just stating my personal opinion about the car. I believe that the guy could have done a better job. Iam just fed up with car modifying these days, everyone does the same thing- wreck the originals.

Iam in the middle of restoring a 240z, and believe me I know how hard it is. To date I have done all the body work (replaced floor pans, thresh hold panels etc). I think people should respect the way the car was designed. If you want modern technology, go buy a modern car, my two cents worth. ciao