IGNORED

Fuel Pump location and prime on 79 280ZX

79z

I just inherited a 79 280ZX as a high school graduation present. My dad and I are trying to get it going but the car sat for a good number of years. We used starter fluid to see if it would start and it does now we need to get fuel to the injectors. Any recommendations on how get the system primed? Any help is greatly appreciated.

If the stock fuel pump is working, when you turn the key to "ON" the pump should run and prime the system. You may have to lay under the car and have someone kit they key while you listen for the pump. They are sometimes very quiet. I have seen some people plumb a pressure gauge into the fuel rail to see what pressure they're getting. Check your fuel pump relay in the engine bay and any fusible links or fuses also. Good luck!!

You probably have a blocked fuel line. First I would do the obvious-check and replace the fuel filter. Remove the old one and try to blow through it-if you can keep looking. I even put pressureized air through both the return line and the feed, the return line was not blocked, but the feed line was. The next obvious place is the pickup. Under the carpet and the pad, in the hatch area floor there is a round panel with two bolts through it. Remove the two bolts, and the cover and your pickup is staring you in the face. It is a held in the tank with a bunch of bolts. Remove the hoses and disconnect the gage sender, remove the bolts and carefully remove the pickup. you may have to gently . When I took mine out it was completely clogged-even the basket type pre filter. I used two cans of Carb-cleaner, an acid brush and a length of copper wire to clean it out. First I sprayed cleaner in a container, and immersed the basket in it. After a good soak, I used the brush to gently clean the basket, the outside of the tube, and the electrical contacts. Then I went to work on the tubing, I flattened and sharpened the end if the wire, and worked it into the tube in a twisting motion, rinsing the crap that came loose out with carb cleaner It clog was not hard, but it did take a while to clear. Then I pulled pieces of a scotchbrite pad through the tube and rerinsed it thoroughly.

I repalced the pickup and the car fired right up!

Remember this is all being done around Gasoline-disconnect the battery, no smoking, and remember the life you save by being too careful WILL be your own! An extra 10 minutes of careful preparation could easily save a set of services, a lengthy stay in the hospital, or both!

Will

From what I understand, those pumps are self-priming. If it starts with starting fluid and the dies, check your fuel pump as ChrisA said. It's outside of the tank passenger side. If it is working then you probably have the problem that comes from the car sitting long periods of time. Crud (for lack of a better term) in the tank. When I bought my 280 it had been sitting for four years. We could get it to start but it wouldn't run much beyond and idle. After checking the fuel pump, lines, relays, etc. which all were good we checked the fuel pressure. It was low. It turned out to be clogged passages in the tank from the residue from the fuel sitting for so long. Some people have the tank professionally cleaned out but that can be pricey. I bought one from a car that had just come into the junkyard and the car has been fine (at least in that area) ever since. If you do get to that point make sure you get a tank from the year span that covers your car.