IGNORED

Honda Strut Bar/Brace for Z

Go240Zags

I'm sorry I started this post. After reading about the honda strut bar "swap" to a 240Z at several other sites I thought it would be good info to pass on. Especially as they were way less expensive than the one's designed for the Z. However, after drilling, bending and cussing the bracket I've come to the conclusion it's a lot of work and, as sblake01 said, the hood won't shut. Well, that's not entirely true in my case, it's just once I got it part way shut I didn't think I'd be able to get it open again. I did, but not without sweating a little bit. :sick:

The one in the photo I posted doesn't look like it was that modified. I've decided to fashion a whole new bracket to allow the bar to sit lower in the engine bay. I like the looks of the bar, altho mine is slightly scratched now from the hood incident. For those who have already ordered theirs and don't want to try modifying the brackets I'm sorry. I think I'll be happy when I've made the changes, but would probably think twice if I had it to do over again.

Now it's time to put those welding classes to work. They have a real neat plasma cutter at the school that may just come in handy.

Gary

FWIW, my car weighs in at the 2200 lbs mark. I run my car on the track fairly regularly so I do need a front strut bar.

As for the use of this Hon-duh bar on my car, I still plan to get one. Even if I have to modify the height of the mounting brackets, it's still cheaper than buying one from MSA or VB, and still less time consuming than making my own. I have the capabilities to modify the brackets fairly quickly.

Plus, it's cheap enough that it's not that much of a waste of money to try. As Carl said, "Different strokes for different folks."

But this has become a good thread because now it has been tried and the facts about it have been stated. The decision now is left soley up to those that want to try it or not. Caveat emptor...

Originally posted by kmack As Carl said, "Different strokes for different folks.". . . . . The decision now is left soley up to those that want to try it or not. Caveat emptor...

That is exactly the point I was trying to get across without imposing my opinion over anyone elses. I don't see a need to be compared to "Granny" or "Mr. Autocross/Street Racer." Sometimes it seems like a little to much of that sort of thing is done here. I've even caught myself doing it in the past. Back to the strut bar brace. It seemed to me that when I had it on the car and the hood wouldn't close, lowering the monting points would put the bar in contact with the fuel pressure regulator on a F.I. car and you still wouldn't be able to close the hood.

Originally posted by sblake01

............. I don't see a need to be compared to "Granny" or "Mr. Autocross/Street Racer." Sometimes it seems like a little to much of that sort of thing is done here. .............

No one was comparing "you" to either type of driver. I merely illustrated two differing types of drivers, with vastly different "needs" for their own "street" cars.

IMO, there is a little too much of people taking things personally, which were never stated that way, or meant to be taken that way. Now, if I had said, "If you are "Granny" maybe you don't need it........" then I may have been referring specifically to you, but I didn't and wasn't.

Relax, have a beer (or other beverage of your choice).

Well, I talked to Calvin as Megan Racing. They sell these bars on ebay (see the inital post in this thread). They are working on a bar for the first generation Z car. I don't know if they will sell them on ebay but I will let you know when it becomes available.

• 3 weeks later...

Well we seem to be overlooking a better option. PDK fabrication makes a stut bar solution that is designed around the needs of a 240Z.

1) 240Z's front strut towers twist under load, so anything with a rod end will allow this twisting motion.

2) Most solutions are not triangulated, without triangulation back to the fire wall your strut towers will still move significantly under cornering loads.

3) the weakest point on a 240Z is the nut-serts that hold the sway bar to the frame rail.

So your best solution is a strut bar (cage) that ties your strut tower together triangulated into the firewall with support to the frame rail and front sway bar.

The answer can be found at www.pdkfabrication.com

932ZCAR.jpg

932racingstrutbar2.JPG

Or you can go to my gallery:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1229&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

oooooo--whee!

Now THAT's what I call a strut bar (system)! You can see that it keeps things from moving in just about any direction.

Not your average "Monte Carlo" bar, too. I always knew those Monte Carlos wren't that good.

What is there that goes in the back?