IGNORED

Flex Plate Drama That Didn't Happen.

djwarner

The 3N71A Transmission was slowly eating the low-reverse return spring to the point the car wouldn't reverse uphill when warm.

I found a 3N71B out of a 280Z and set about removing the old and installing the new(er). 

After dropping the old transmission, I took the time to thoroughly inspect the flex plate and found some radial cracks 180 degrees apart. Fortunately, the new transmission came with the flex plate.

A second surprise came when we removed the backing washer. There was a circular crack with a substantial gap just underneath the washer. There is perhaps two or three points of contact. I can't tell whether the crank had spun the portion on the backup washer, caught and re-welded itself into place, or if the crack just hadn't finished the full circle.

The car drove normally and this came as a complete surprise. Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of our beast.

The only other problem in the installation is a failed diaphragm in the vacuum modulator that is getting replaced tomorrow.

Has anyone else experienced a similar failure?

post-26587-0-07898100-1426045750_thumb.j

Edited by djwarner
  • Like 1

When I took the flywheel off the automatic L24 I bought I felt how light it was and got all excited, then I realized there was no friction plate on there.  I thought I had an expensive lightened flywheel.  :LOL:

Wow, I clicked on your's.  You were about to be walking home.

Edited by siteunseen