IGNORED

Works rally 240Z resto featured in OCTANE Magazine.

HS30-H

The August 2009 issue of OCTANE Magazine ( already on sale here in the UK ) carries a very nicely photographed five page feature on Kevin Bristow's ex-Works 1971 Datsun 240Z rally car.

This car debuted on the 1971 RAC Rally here in the UK, crewed by East African Safari Rally-winning team Edgar Herrmann and Hans Schuller. Kevin has recently completed a marathon restoration that he took to extraordinary levels, and the article - written by Paul Hardiman and photographed in a studio by John Colley - describes the "Incredible, sensitive restoration of a unique survivor".

It's nice to see a genuine Works-built 240Z being featured in the pages of a mainstream - and fairly swanky - magazine such as OCTANE. Kevin's car is rubbing shoulders in the pages with some pretty illustrious company.....

Definitely worth picking up this mag if you have an interest in the Works cars.

Alan T.

post-2116-14150807514428_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150807515252_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150807515707_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150807516239_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150807517157_thumb.jpg

Thanks for Posting this Alan. Amazing. I can truly appreciate the amount of time, the continual effort and seemingly endless supply of money that a project of this nature can consume. I know that Kevin enjoyed every second of it.

Really nice article. Does anyone know if this Magazine is available on the News Stands here in the US?

FWIW,

Carl B.

I know Kevin's car has appeared from time to time in "Classic and Sportscar".

Alan, if memory serves me correctly, wasn't there a picture of this same car in a previous incarnation being totally airborne in a rally from the 1970's,before Kevin owned it?

I know I have that issue somewhere, maybe I can dig up the pic.

Alan, if memory serves me correctly, wasn't there a picture of this same car in a previous incarnation being totally airborne in a rally from the 1970's,before Kevin owned it?

I think you might be getting this car confused with Kevin's other 240Z historic rally car ( UK registration number 'OMT 868K' ) which is yellow, with a red stripe. That car has been rallying for most of it's life, but Kevin has a long and successful history with it ( winning the UK championship with it one year ) and still owns it.

The ex-Works car ( Japanese carnet registration number 'TKS 33 SA 3640', subsequently UK registration number 'PTE 338L' ) is quite a different car, and has been occupying his free time for much of the last twelve years or so. Now that the restoration of the ex-Works car is finished, Kevin may be taking part in the occasional competitive outing in 'OMT' again.....

Here's a pic of 'OMT' a couple of years or so ago:

post-2116-14150807543638_thumb.jpg

Thanks for Posting this Alan. Amazing. I can truly appreciate the amount of time, the continual effort and seemingly endless supply of money that a project of this nature can consume. I know that Kevin enjoyed every second of it.

Thanks Carl,

Money was one thing, but I have the deepest respect for Kevin's forensic mindset and the superhuman effort he put into understanding the details of this car during the time he applied himself to saving it. He seemed to put himself in the place of the Works fabricators and technicians who actually built the car so that he could understand why and how they did what they did. As the article says, he really did manage to keep the lightning in the bottle. Unfortunately, the complex nature of the car, along with the level of detailing, original feeling and patina of the car cannot be conveyed adequately in the printed media. I wish you could all see this car in the metal ( and plastic! ), to appreciate both what the Works staff built, and what Kevin has managed to save. It is truly amazing.

Really nice article. Does anyone know if this Magazine is available on the News Stands here in the US?

I'm sure it has some distribution in the USA. Their website address is: www.octane-magazine.com

If anybody really wants a copy, but struggles to get a single copy in the USA or Canada without subscription, please let me know and I will be happy to try and help.

Cheers,

Alan T.

I'm sure it has some distribution in the USA. Their website address is: www.octane-magazine.com

If anybody really wants a copy, but struggles to get a single copy in the USA or Canada without subscription, please let me know and I will be happy to try and help.

Cheers,

Alan T.

Definitely available in Canada as an import and usually runs a month or so behind on distribution.

Any good magazine shop will likely have it in stock.

Great magazine. I'm a regular reader. It's one of the few Euro mags that spends the preponderance of it's time talking about Ferrari's and Aston's that I can actually stomach...

Some really neat stuff from time to time on one-off concept vehicles that are still floating around and they do a reasonable amount of coverage of this side of the pond (nice article on Amelia Island an issue or two ago).

They do seem a trifle fixated on Goodwood mind you...

Edited by bigoak

Thanks for the heads up Alan. I will be sure to get this issue. Octane magazine - issue 22 April 2005. This was the first copy of this magazine that I bought at the news stand. I bought it for the featured article of the Lamborghini Miura. (Yep, I was dreaming!) But it is also the copy which included an article titled..."Datsun 240Z How - and why - to buy Japan's greatest sports car". It is a well rounded publication that touches on a variety of fine automobiles of interest, past and present, as well as contributions from owners and world class drivers from across the wide spectrum of motor sport. When I buy a copy at the news stand, after reading, I normally pass them on to friends who I know will appreciate a good read. A subscription would be a good idea.

I know I have that issue somewhere, maybe I can dig up the pic.

Are you thinking of this picture? {see the one on the Left below} It was taken at the Ypres Rally in Belgium. {thanks to James Morris for sending it}

OR PERHAPS:

Kevin's Yellow/Red 240Z may look familiar to some in the U.S. Could be you think you saw it racing here in the Pacific Northwest, or maybe running the Panama-Alaska Rally in 1997... There is a reason for that....

Kevin's Yellow/Red 240Z was originally owned by Robert Trinder.

Robert left England about 23 years ago to move to Canada. Robert then bought a former Road Race 240-Z and prepared it for Rally duty. He kept the same color scheme as he had before. It was entered in a few Stage Rallies and then Robert and Scott Trinder ran the 1997 Panama-Alaska Rally with the car in vintage class finishing an impressive 6th overall.

Rick Hintz bought the car in 98. Rick and Mark Swalley {Mark Johnson substituting} then used it in SCCA's Group 5 Rally Competition.

David Birchall bought the car in 2005 and had plans to keep it in Rally trim...

http://ZHome.com/Racing/RALLY/Hintz.htm

Second Picture is Trinder's car on the Baja Stage of the Panama-Alaska Rally in 97. It JUST PASSED UNDER the nose of that horse!!! A tenth of a second later, the horse and Z would have been history.

FWIW,

Carl B.

post-3609-14150807543854_thumb.jpg

post-3609-14150807544267_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carl Beck

Carl,

I don't know if the Barnes & Noble store in your area carries it ( being tailored to the older generation ), but our Barnes & Noble has it. And call first! You don't want to run over anyone with a walker. Probably don't want to go out looking for a Barnes & Noble on Bingo night either!