IGNORED

Need picture of rear bumper mount

72ZDave

I'm getting my car ready for paint and took the rear bumper off my 72 today. Besides twisting one of the bolts off, it went pretty well. The mounts for the rear bumper that attach to the quarter panels look twisted. Is this correct? I was hoping someone had pictures of their rear bumper brackets they could post for me. Thanks!!

Thanks Brian! Mine are definitely bent and twisted. The car had been repainted and the bumper off and looks like it's been "bumped" so who knows what's happened in 36 years. I appreciate the pics!

• 8 months later...

There should be a piece of rubber that covers the ear on the bumper itself. This protects the paint. I'm thinking of part #6 and #7 here:

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/z/full.aspx?Page=25

I admit that their diagram isn't the way I remember it. I think the parts are much smaller and not visible once the bumper is installed.

There should be a piece of rubber that covers the ear on the bumper itself. This protects the paint. I'm thinking of part #6 and #7 here:

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/z/full.aspx?Page=25

I admit that their diagram isn't the way I remember it. I think the parts are much smaller and not visible once the bumper is installed.

No, numbers 6 & 7 in the BD catalog are the rear bumper trim caps, for which I've never seen a good explanation as to which cars had them or didn't. Part numbers 62692-E4101 and 62693-E4101 (left and right), were still available from the dealer a few months ago. See my first picture attached.

The rubber bumper shims are shown in the second picture from MSA. The right shim is the rear one, it is like an envelope which slides over the bracket on the bumper.

post-8596-14150805278196_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150805278433_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Arne - the shims are precisely what I was referring to. My car doesn't have the end caps so either it never had them or they were removed by a previous owner. Somehow those seem like a '73 item along with the black spacer that covers the gap behind the bumper. Hopefully someone here will know for sure.

Mike, my car didn't have the end caps when I bought it either, but I did install them post-paint. I have no idea whether or not they are correct for a late '71. There's no date range for them in the parts CD. But I'm pretty certain they weren't just a '73 part, judging from the attached scans. These pictures are from the January 1970 issue of Road & Track. While the scans aren't totally clear, these pictures appear to show the rear end caps in place on a very early (pre-production?) press car.

post-8596-14150805282294_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150805282527_thumb.jpg

No, numbers 6 & 7 in the BD catalog are the rear bumper trim caps, for which I've never seen a good explanation as to which cars had them or didn't. Part numbers 62692-E4101 and 62693-E4101 (left and right), were still available from the dealer a few months ago. See my first picture attached.

The rubber bumper shims are shown in the second picture from MSA. The right shim is the rear one, it is like an envelope which slides over the bracket on the bumper.

Arne,

The bumper shims or bumper bracket isolators that you refer to are available in reproduction form at Banzai Motorworks. See www.zzxdatsun.com and look in the catalogue under rubber parts. No need to build your own.

Dan

Urban legend, myth or reality?

I heard/read years ago that the (outside) bumper covers were called 'skirt catchers', or more precise 'anti skirt catchers'. It was related that early on with the narrow and crowded streets of Japan that women's skirts were being caught on the open ends of the bumper when the Z made a tight corner. The problem was solved by adding the end covers. I don't know how true this story is, but it has stuck in my mind ever since I read it. I put new ones on after painting as the others were old and crumbly, but could use the inner rubber bracket covers.

Bonzi Lon