jayhawk's Content - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

jayhawk

Supporting Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jayhawk

  1. N33 on the '73, N36 on the '74. I'm sure they add at least 20 Hp! Maybe more! 😁 Google only claims up to 5 Hp though... Since this is from an AI, it must be right, right? Google's AI response to the query "Datsun N36 manifold added power" (also has links to old threads on clasiczcars and hybridz...) AI Overview Swapping to a Datsun 260Z N36 intake manifold on an earlier 240Z can yield an estimated 0 to 5 horsepower gain (though internet lore often claims up to 10 hp). The N36 features slightly shorter, revised internal runner designs that can help distribute air/fuel more evenly across all cylinders, but dramatic power increases require additional modifications. [1, 2, 3] Understanding the N36 Manifold The N36 was originally cast for the 1974 Datsun 260Z to work with later SU-type carburetors (often transitioning away from emissions-heavy setups). [1] It features a slightly shorter internal runner layout than early 240Z manifolds (like the E88 or N33). Enthusiasts note that it helps even out fuel distribution, preventing middle cylinders from running overly rich. Actual gains are minor (around 5 hp or better track throttle response) unless paired with other work. [1, 2, 3] How to Maximize Power with an N36 Swap If you want to extract real horsepower gains out of an N36 intake installation, combine it with these complementary tuning steps: Port Matching: Carefully match the N36 runner openings to your cylinder head intake ports using a die grinder to eliminate airflow-restricting steps. Gasket Inspection: Ensure the intake/exhaust gasket doesn't intrude or block any portion of the fuel/air passage. Carburetor Tuning: Pair the manifold with well-synced round-top SU carburetors or larger side-draft setups. Exhaust Upgrade: Add a performance header and free-flowing exhaust system to let the engine breathe out what the intake puts in.
  2. The air cleaner to front carb braided hose on my '73 is starting to fray and I need to replace it for ZCON judging. Nissan P/N is 16089-N3302 for a '73 or P/N 18089-N3302 for a '74 (either should work for me). The Z Store has a listing for it but it is out of stock. (I called them and they indicated they do not expect to see any for a long time). Anyone know of a source (NOS or reproduction) for this hose? Thanks
  3. jayhawk replied to SteveJ's topic in Electrical
    I'm trying to fix the horns on my 240Z restored by @motorman7 in 2019. I recall that motorman7 found a pair of NIB horns and they certainly look like it. But they quit working some time ago and I'm trying to analyze the problem. Took one apart and it appears to be all OK (photos attached). When testing horn I have opened up, the diaphragm pops in and stays there. Never vibrates. The other horn acts the same way. I did experiment with the tone screw on the assembled and at one extreme the horn diaphragm pops once, and at the other extreme, the horn does nothing. Fiber washer appears correct. So I noticed some corrosion around the wire from the 12v lead in to the coil and wondered if there was a short which would mean when voltage was applied, the coil would always be energized, even if the contact points were open. BUT, since the horn diaphragm does not depress when volts are applied and the tone screw is all the way in (contact points open), it appears there is no short keeping the coil energized. (I wedged some cardboard between the points, just to be sure and tested again. Coil did not energize. Diaphragm did not depress) I've tried measuring the resistance but have a rinky dink multimeter which seems to show the right numbers, but cannot get consistent readings. (have ordered a better one from Amazon). Any thoughts? Regards from the left coast...
  4. Regarding the color of the steering wheel: I've always wondered what the "new" color was and it seems to me that most restorations get it a little too dark. I always compare against the 1972 brochure I've kept, and the photo I took of my 1973 240Z a couple of weeks after I bought it new. Of course, photo colors are not always accurate, and I've never had any judge question my (restored darker than these pictures) steering wheel, so it apparently doesn't matter very much. Cropped 1973 photo of my then new '73 240Z. Originally a kodachrome slide, digitized by Costo's Flordia lab a few years ago.
  5. I can confirm that my 240Z that was restored by Motorman7 did win Best Exterior at the 2023 ZCON in Ontario. I also did have Miguel do single stage paint, as I wanted it restored to the way it was when I drove it off the dealer's lot, which Motorman7's restoration achieved spectacularly. For the 2023 ZCON in Ontario, I did have it professionally polished (regular wax, not ceramic) before the show. The judges also seemed impressed with the condition of the undercarriage, which was Motorman7's work. (photo attached) It was that undercarriage that caused me to start down the rabbit hole of show competitions. Got 1st Place Stock at the 2021 ZCON in Colorado Springs, and 1st in Class at the 2022 Hillsborough Concours d;Elegance, but now the wife is complaining about her cleaning duties at these events... 😁 So it time to turn it back into a daily driver. Maybe turn it into something like the modded Z in the attached photo? 😆
  6. I liked you color change, more consistent and readable. And that is interesting about MS Word's limitations on exporting to a pdf. I've been using Libra Office for several years (never wanted to pay for MS Office) and interesting to find that limitation. I like the spreadsheet in Libra Office (Calc) too. I never used MS Excel, used Lotus 123 until about 5 years ago! (when it was part of Lotus Smartsuite) because I got that for free from when I was gainfully employed by IBM.
  7. Feel free to use it. I created it with Libra Office Write, then exported it as a PDF, and used Office Depot's online poster system to print an 18" x 24" poster. Turnaround time was only 1 day for pickup at a local Office Depot. I've attache the Libra Writer ODT document I created. (Microsoft Word can use this format, if that is what you use). The file size seems smaller than I thought it should be, but that may be because the photos I used were low resolution to begin with. Have fun! 2023 THE LEGENDARY DATSUN 240Z CONCOURS INFO POSTER 18x24.odt
  8. In 2022 drove the Z to the 66th Hillsborough Concours d'Elegance, which is the oldest Continuous Concours in the World, running every year since 1956. (Pebble Beach started a couple of years earlier, but did not hold an event in 1960 due to "scheduling conflicts") Not as big as Pebble Beach, but still lots of incredible ancient motorcars. (and Pebble Beach does not have a Japanese car class, not to mention incredibly expensive entrance fees) Judging of all Concours events in N. California is done by the San Francisco chapter of the SCCA. They do not give out judging sheets, so no one knows why anyone came in first or second etc. It is an old boys club that rationalizes their secrecy because someone might get mad about errors they made... This has caused one beautiful Z Owner (another Motorman restoration) to swear off all judged events. One wonders how many other folks this has discouraged from entering SF SCCA judged events) However, Hillsborough does have a Japanese car class, because the wife of the organizer is Japanese! And we received 1st in Class, thanks to only 2 other cars in the class. One a modified 240Z, beautiful Z, but Concours judging rules are identical to ZCON "Stock" rules, ie. no mods. And the other car was a '93 Acura NSX, where the owner was not present when the judges came to judge. This is a poster I use at events like this to show attendees why the 240Z was such an important vehicle in automotive history.
  9. Took the 240Z to ZCON in Colorado Springs. Won 1st Place, Stock! Yea, Motorman's work comes through again! Judging was done in a dirt lot which did not help with the cleaning. Judges shirts on the back said "We Will Find the Dirt" - and they did. ZUP's silver Z in in the photo next to ours. ZUP drove it from Arkansas, and still got 2nd Place. He was happy for me. (and Motorman, who was not there this time). ZCONs are a lot of fun. Great cars and great people. Trophy backed by a 13 lb (!) hunk of Colorado Fieldstone. Nissan unveiled the new 2023Z at ZCON a couple of days after the press revealing in New York. I love the blue!
  10. In 2021, took it to some local shows. The owner of the black Mercedes McLaren next to me was looking at my window sticker price ($4200 in 1973) and mentioned that his first service on his car was $8,000! Yikes! Found another '73 240Z at the show and he is now a member of ZONC (Z Owners of Northern California, of which I'm now the Membership Representative) An attempt at artsy fartsy car photo... Title: Sunset Over a Datsun
  11. In October 2019, drove it from our home just outside San Francisco to the Neillo Concours d'Elegance in Sacramento. Entered into the 1953 to 1979 Sports Cars Under $5,000 class. Another 2nd place to a Volvo 1800 that has survived the disastrous Paradise, California fire. The owner had lost his home and other cars, but had photos of his Volvo on a trailer driving through orange smoke and flames! This was a great lesson is how you present your car! All in all, great fun.
  12. After returning from ZCON, took the Z to the 2019 JCCS in Long Beach, CA. Huge event with over 500 Japanese autos.
  13. I thought I'd update this thread with info about the Z of the last couple of years. Some of this info has been mentioned in other threads, but just to complete the saga to date about this car, this post is about our adventures at ZCON 2019 in Branson. Took it to ZCON 2019 in Branson immediately after Motorman "finished" the restoration. (is a restoration ever really finished?...) Bought a used Nissan Armada, rented a 24' enclosed trailer, and set off for Branson from San Diego after persuading my brother to help drive, as I'd never towed anything larger than a jet ski before this. Yoshihiko Matsuo (RIP) inspecting Motorman's work. Judges judging. Received 2nd place in Stock, after Zup's beautiful '73 Z. Very happy for Zup, as he had unselfishly helped on this thread. The Branson ZCON trophies are really nice!
  14. Whidbey Island was a great place. The Navy built the NAS there because it was drier than other parts of the Puget Sound, as it was in the "rain shadow" of the Olympic Peninsula. Supposedly had more VFR flying days than NAS Miramar in San Diego because of frequent fog there. Supposedly... Bought my 240Z from the Datsun dealer in Mt. Vernon. The new owner, Jack Gubrud, sponsored fun runs for all local Z owners. Here are pix of the run he sponsored in 1974 over the North Cascade Highway to Winthrop. (I think I've posted some of these before here)
  15. I agree, but only get there very rarely. (like driving through in a Z...) Another interesting thing we saw on the stretch of US 50/I-70: Every seen a curve ahead speed sign of 75mph? (Saw this on our trip, but did not get a picture then. Had to go back to Google Street view to find this again)
  16. While editing, I noticed something very interesting. The 1974 photo of my 240Z "somewhere in Utah" had cliffs in the background that looked similar to the View Point stop in the new Z. Notice the profile of the cliff right above the 240Z. This it the original photo. (The one in the post above was cropped.) And again the photo of the new Z view point stop in Utah: The profile of the cliffs on the right was the give away! Realized both photos were taken at the same place! 49 years apart! Using the geotag info in the new photos, identified the location as the Black Dragon Canyon View Point on I70 in Utah. Google Street view of the View Point: I guess Zs like to stop at the same place.
  17. Sorry about the photos. Hopefully I got it right in editing.
  18. I have a 1973 240Z that Motorman7 restored in 2018 and 2019 discussed in the thread https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/60309-were-bringin-back-the-flat-tops/. I saw the new Z at ZCON Colorado Springs where our '73 240Z took first place in the Stock judging category. (Thank Motorman7!) I knew then I wanted that beautiful Seiran Blue Z they had there and have been looking to buy one since. Finally, on April 14th, 50 years to the day after buying my '73 Blue Metallic 240Z, I bought a new 2023 Seiran Blue Z. The new Zs in blue are harder to find than the Proto Spec version and I found our new Z at a price I could live with at a Chicago dealer. Drove it the day we picked it up to our son's home in Kansas City, where we left it until June. Then in June, we drove it home to California all on US Highway 50, cause Interstates highways in a new sports cars are boring! (especially Interstate 80...) Sightseeing on the way included the National Tall Grass Prairie Preserve and the Cosmosphere space museum in Kansas; Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, Monarch Pass, Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado; the beautiful ridges and mesas of central Utah; the Loneliest Road in America across western Utah and central Nevada; and Lake Tahoe. Conclusions: it is a great car for such a trip! Very comfortable for long days (Day 4 was 852 miles from Ouray, Colorado to Carson City, NV in 14 hours) Very fun to pass cars or trucks on the open and lonely highways of the Midwest and West. Mashing the throttle was like a catapult shot off the Kitty Hawk! (my long '72 deployment on that ship was what enabled me to save enough to buy the '73 240Z) Head snapping acceleration! Wheee! Long distance trips in my 240Z, the blue line was in 1974 after discharge from the Navy. Whidbey Island WA to Huntington Beach CA via Vancouver BC, Winnipeg, Chicago, and Kansas City. 2023 Road Trip on US Highway 50 in the new Z: A photo op in Dodge City: After crossing the flat eastern half of Colorado, took a side trip off Highway 50 to Pikes Peak: Summit of Pikes Peak was closed, turned around at the 16 mile mark (of the 19 mile drive to the top). Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs Highway 50 crosses the Continental Divide at Monarch Pass. 11,312 feet altitude. Turbos make this easy. Turns out the new Z is off-road capable! 4+ miles of US 50 in central Colorado under construction.. . At the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Actually did some Interstate. US 50 is co-resident with I70 in eastern Utah. Beautiful fast road. No traffic. 80mph posted speed limit. A View Point on US50 / I70 A photo of our 240Z somewhere in Utah in 1974: US 50 from central Utah to Carson City NV is called "The Loneliest Road in America". With good reason! This was part of a 184 mile stretch in western Utah and eastern Nevada with only one gas station. Which appeared closed when we went by... (To be honest, at the speed we were going, things were a little blurry...😁) Couldn't pass up a scenic stop at Lake Tahoe. On the Nevada side looking west. Now home with the great, great, great, great grandfather. Taking both to ZCON. Conclusions about the new Z. An excellent Z for a long road trip. Comfortable, quick, and fun! Neck snapping acceleration. (Like a catapult shot off an aircraft carrier) Wife convinced me to get an, uh, "9 Speed Paddle Shift transmission" (don't call it an auto...😁). And that paid off in the stop and go uphill drive on the Pikes Peak toll road. Highly recommended if you can find one at close to MSRP.
  19. I have found a frame from a local (N. California) Datsun parts guy. Thanks to all who have responded! --Jayhawk
  20. Per https://www.zhome.com/History/ZColorGallary/ this has the PPG codes to match the original Datsun colors. I'd really like to see my 115 blue Z next to a 903 blue Z. In most pictures I cannot tell a difference.
  21. View Advert Wanted: 240Z Driver door window frame I'm looking for the window frame for the driver side door for my '73 240Z. Mine has a rock ding and I just want it to look pretty! Thanks! --Jayhawk Advertiser jayhawk Date 12/08/2022 Price Category Parts Wanted Year 1973 Model 240Z
  22. Thanks for the mention Motorman. Your restoration on my Z has really cramped my style! It is too pretty to take on the Z Club fun runs through the back roads. So for now it is a show car, but after ZCON next year (in Ontario, California) it will be time to put on the original slotted "mag" wheels, maybe the louvers, the arm rest, and start driving it everywhere again. --Jayhawk My (motorman restoration) blue Z at the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Z Owners of Northern California (ZONC) last June. (Blackhawk auto museum) Note the relative number of folks checking out my 240Z vs the new Nissan 2023 Z😁.
  23. The head judge at ZCON in Colorado Springs said he was working on rules for a Survivor Class in the judging, but its uncertain if that actually occurs for ZCON in Birmingham next year.
  24. Thanks for this photo. My Z is the blue one (without hubcaps...) next to the 240Z Guild Safari Tribute Z

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.