IGNORED

"The Run"

Zrush

Has anyone seen the DVD titled "The Run". It shows a 350Z running flat out through the streets of Prauge (I think that's how you spell it). I don't like the 350Z at all, but the DVD is awesome. I'd love to do that through the streets of my town in my '77 280Z. We called it rat-racing. :devious:

If you liked that video of the 350Z then you are sure to love the original film from which Nissan got their idea.

In the original short film Nick Mason (Pink Floyd) had his personal car, a Ferrari 250GTO, filmed at speed in the wee hours of the night driving through Paris. The sounds are glorious as that V12 is hutled up and down through the rev range. At last check the film is still available through Classic Motorbooks for about $30. The film is about 20 to 25 minutes in duration if I remember correctly.

Nissans website had a teaser trailer about 7 months ago, I was very excited about it comming out. It was like the best thing next to "Getaway in Stolkhome" 1 and 2. That is what I thought it was. #3 in the series. Is it really good? I'd have to ask the Wife to buy it for me and save it for when I get back.:love:

Originally posted by daddz

If you liked that video of the 350Z then you are sure to love the original film from which Nissan got their idea.

In the original short film Nick Mason (Pink Floyd) had his personal car, a Ferrari 250GTO, filmed at speed in the wee hours of the night driving through Paris. The sounds are glorious as that V12 is hutled up and down through the rev range. At last check the film is still available through Classic Motorbooks for about $30. The film is about 20 to 25 minutes in duration if I remember correctly.

daddz,

I think you are referring to the early Seventies French film called "C'etait un Rendezvous" directed by Claude Lelouch, which consists of a single take ( allegedly ) with a film camera mounted low on the front of a very loud sports car. The take starts with the sound of the driver closing the door of the car and starting the engine. He blasts through the quiet early-morning streets of Paris ( running many red lights and avoiding surprised pedestrians and sleepy taxi drivers ) until he gets to his destination at Montmartre and the 'Rendezvous' of the title.

This film was a cult hit amongst car-types, and was sometimes played at car-club film shows as an extra titbit ( its less than 10 minutes long ). I first saw it on cine film in the late Seventies, and there was a lot of mystery surrounding it at that time. There was much discussion about the true identity of the driver ( many people said it was a French Formula One star ) and indeed the type of car that was used ( ranging from Porsche sports-racers to Alpine Renault sports cars ). There was also a legend that the French police arrested the driver after the film was made.

Much more about the film has come to be known over the last few years ( although the director likes to keep an air of mystery around it ) and indeed it has recently been released on Video and DVD. With cool-headed analysis its easy to see that the soundtrack does not completely match the film, and that there are a couple of places where this is all too obvious. Its also clear that the low mounting position of the camera makes things look a lot more dramatic than they really were! Maybe we are all a bit more cynical these days...............

Its believed that the driver was none other than the director of the film himself, and driving his own Ferrari 275 GTB. The woman at the end of the film is the director's wife.

Great fun all the same.

Cheers,

Alan T.

Alan,

Absolument!

You never cease to amaze with the encyclopedic knowledge that you possess! So the rumor regarding the type of car is questionable? Was the soundtrack an accurate portrayal of a Ferrari V12 or was that a fakery? There was a piece of that film viewable on the internet for a period of time but, I have been unable to find it. I suppose the owner to the copywright was none too pleased. Would you happen to remember what year that film was produced? I am curious because after Steve McQueen's film "LeMans" some of those camera angles began to appear in more mainstream films. Instead of the static by the roadside angles cameras began to be attached to vehicles in ever more creative ways.

I guess I will just go back to watching the Victor Memorial Car Series :classic:

This was available a few weeks ago (at least a few minute teaser was) on DirecTV Tivo. It didn't list in the guide, but rather in the main menu. I couldn't figure out how to record it, however.

I hadn't realized there was a history around this, thanks for the background.

No, there was no speeding up of the film. If you watch it you can see that from the speed of the other cars, buses, people walking and the pigeons taking off..............

The big 'cheat' is the sound. This is half of what makes it all seem so fast. If you watch it with no sound you can see that the car is going pretty fast - but not as fast as the soundtrack would have you believe.

As far as I am aware, Lelouch filmed it with no sound and then dubbed the sound on afterwards. This is most apparent when the engine seems to be at around 7000 rpm in fourth gear and the car takes a 90 degree turn with no problems! Obviously this is not correct.

The engine sounds are from something with a very hot engine and a very close-ratio transmission. Its probably still a Ferrari V12, but probably not Lelouch's car's engine.............