IGNORED

Heater fan and wipers not working..

philUK

I'm having an intermitant (worst kind!) of problem with my heater fan and wipers, where they will sometimes not work. I guess they are on the same circuit so I checked the wiper fuse and A/C fuse. both ok. then whilst I was working the heater fan started going, so I took the opportunity to remove both fuses, the fan kept going, so I unplugged the left connecter to the fuse box, which I thought would definitely stop the fan and wipers from working.. but no, they kept going. Am I missing something (entirely possible) or does it sound like that side of the fusebox been bypassed?

Any ideas what to try next?

thanks all!

(I have a '71 by the way)

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you may have a bypass problem

But back to your original one. Was having same problem with heater, wipers and radio not working occassionally.

Quite baffling because sometimes they would just come on.

Finally worked it out that it was the ignition key not returning totally from when starting. Just catching a fraction.

System is apparently designed to shut down all circuits while you are actually tunring the starter motor over.

Check it out:D

biker

Thanks for the doc bill, very useful to keep that for reference!

biker, i think you might have got it, because they war i can always get it to work is to turn the ignition to 'acc', so points towards ignition key..

many thanks guys!

Hi all,

I just like to add my 2c here I suffer the same intermittent type (seasonal failures) I have got so use to the different fuses going off line that I just go straight to the culprit pull it out spin it around after inspection and refit to the same position. I have also had the situation when apply fan (no operation) re install fuse (nil op), leave the selected position on the fan switch and as you say presto starts working when ready. My fuel injection control circuit relays have two fuses piggy backing the fuse boxes and every so often when the ignition is turned to on no fuel pump, fuse out fuse in presto, pump on and start.

I think the major short fall in this is the fuse type however they are known and easy to access. I will be very inteested in what is at the bottom of this maze.

cheers

Steve:classic:

• 8 years later...

What do you guys mean by "ignition key"?? I'm having this same issue. I replaced my alternator and voltage regulator last week and for a few days I'd have to turn the key twice. First time I'd get a click, second time the car would turn over, crank and run. No problems with the radio/heater/wipers until the new problem started.... I have to turn the key around 10 times before it actually starts tot run over. Last night I got the click 10 or so times, it cranked up and ran fine on the 11th try, then about 15minutes into my trip the radio, heater, and wipers stopped working (in the middle of the winter rain). All of the lights still work in the dash, the head and tail lights, turn signals. I don't know where to start.. need some direction because this rain will not go away!I need those wipers :). I've been using a squeegee.

1973 240Z, L24

What do you guys mean by "ignition key"?? I'm having this same issue. I replaced my alternator and voltage regulator last week

Some background is needed here. Why did you replace the alternator and regulator? Where did you get the parts from? Did you get a 50 Amp alternator, or did you go with a higher rating?

Nissan changed from an externally regulated to an internally regulated alternator for the 1978 model year. Having an internally regulated alternatore with an external regulator is bad mojo. You can get overvoltage conditions that can damage equipment.

and for a few days I'd have to turn the key twice. First time I'd get a click, second time the car would turn over, crank and run. No problems with the radio/heater/wipers until the new problem started.... I have to turn the key around 10 times before it actually starts tot run over. Last night I got the click 10 or so times, it cranked up and ran fine on the 11th try,

Was the click inside the car (accessory relay) or in the engine bay (starter solenoid)?

then about 15minutes into my trip the radio, heater, and wipers stopped working (in the middle of the winter rain). All of the lights still work in the dash, the head and tail lights, turn signals. I don't know where to start.. need some direction because this rain will not go away!I need those wipers :). I've been using a squeegee.

This part screams "Accessory fuse". I bet you don't have a working rear defroster, either. Anyway, start by checking the fuse in the lower right of the fusebox. Also check the upper 2 on the left. Take the fuses out of the fuse box and test them with an ohmmeter.

Before you take the car out again, I suggest you check the output of the alternator with a voltmeter. Measure at the battery. If it's about 14.5 at idle, shut down the car immediately and research alternator swaps.

If you're in the northern suburbs of Atlanta, send me a PM. I might be able to come over and help you if need be.