IGNORED

Opinions?

mdbrandy

I'll jump back into this and say that the benefit is driving a Z while restoring one thereby contributing to enthusiasm and respect for your restoration. A hidden cost benefit, perhaps. Just don't spend a bunch of money buying it.

DRIVE HER TILL SHE DROPS!

All I can say is...:tapemouth

The passengers side rail looks like a homemade one... the 280 rails end just before the where the floor makes the transition to the wheel well area, if I remember right, it only about 6 inches or so longer than the 240 rail.

That car looks to be more of a project car than a daily driver. Definately needs floor pans and frame rails, doubt these would last long, and the worry of them failing would have me nervous everytime I hit a pothole. Add in the battery tray area needing work........

It might not take a big expense (lots of labor though) to make it a daily driver, but you'd have to do some pretty major repairs to make it reliable. Only way I'd go for it, is if I were planning on fixing it correctly, driving it for a couple years, then trying to sell it for a profit as the number of 1970 production cars for sale gets smaller and smaller.

Most of the sub 1000 VIN numbered cars are already in the hands of the more serious collectors, so this car could appreciate in couple years if it were fixed correctly.:ermm: Shame it couldn't have been in the hands of someone that fixed things right the first time.

I believe I've decided to pass. Two reasons: the floor pan/frame work looks to be of low quality - those rails are only tack welded every now and again to the pans. Who knows what other crappy work was done on them. Also, it appears from what the guy says that there is a bondo job on the rear rockers. He only had the car a year, so it may have other body work too.

2nd reason, is that I've realized that I may already have another Z sitting in my garage. I have a 280 that I've been calling a parts car, but the only real things wrong with it are floorboard holes, needs a new muffler, and rear brakes. I had written it off as a loss due to the floorboard and drivers side frame, back when I didn't have any welding gear, and wasn't intending to get any. I think I'm going to consider welding in enough sheet metal to make it safe, fixing the exhaust and brakes, and driving it until I need the parts - undoubtedly 2 years or so! I'll have to go out and look at it again to make sure, but from what I remember, it should be doable. Then I can drive that one into the ground for only a few hundred dollars!

Thanks for the opinions. You guys are great!