IGNORED

Opinions?

mdbrandy

Anybody want to levy an opinion on this car:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6187&item=2438471019

I'm looking for a third car for the family, since my oldest son is soon to be driving, and hey, I could buy another Z and let him drive the camry :classic: . Basically, this car is only 6 hours or so from me, and sounds interesting. I wouldn't have to feel bad about modding it since it is already far from stock... Its certainly not stock, but looks pretty cool. All opinions welcome...

I was looking at that the other day...

Looks good, but I have to wonder about an owner that would drive around with only 3 lugs on each wheel, cuz he isn't smart enough to go to the local parts store and find the lugs. I've found those lug nuts at the little Advance store here in town for those wheels, so makes me wonder why he says he can't find them....:ermm:

Might make you take a second look just to see what else might be half-arsed...unless the selling price is just too good to be true, in which case, it might not be a bad deal...

But, for a first car, and you know what things cost for a Z, and all the little things that can be wrong, you sure you don't want to just look at a late model 240sx? Plus, you'd have to figure in the insurance costs with a teenage, male driver....

Not that the insurance companies have ever discriminated against young male drivers....:tapemouth

The description is half arsed, 2Many! Dealer option leather? I think not!

The gas tank leaks because the vent hose is broken. I know where you can get lug nuts. Nice wheels BTW. Momo steering wheel. I have a dash cap for you, Mark. The body has already been hacked on - no telling what will happen in the future. I would say go for it under $2400. Give the Camry to your son and drive the crap out of the Z and sell it for parts.

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

Might make you take a second look just to see what else might be half-arsed...unless the selling price is just too good to be true, in which case, it might not be a bad deal...

But, for a first car, and you know what things cost for a Z, and all the little things that can be wrong, you sure you don't want to just look at a late model 240sx?

I noted the stupid leather-seat comment he made, and I've sent him a big list of questions. We'll see what he says. And in terms of first cars, it is going to still be my car. My parents didn't buy me my first car, and I'm not buying my kids cars either. I'll provide them one to use while they are still living at home, but all the vehicles will be mine, and they'll drive what I let them. So I'm not worried about him having to deal with the maintenance :classic:. And my insurance agent tells me that for liability only, the costs aren't any more for a Z than for a civic. For a $2500 car, I'd go with liability only anyway.

Anyway, I'm still investigating the car. We'll see what else is "half-arsed" as you well note :( .

Originally posted by Daniel

What is the "option leather hatch cover"?

In one of the pictures he has posted on the site linked to the auction, there is a piece of some material apparently stretched across the luggage area. In the pic with the hatch open, it appears to cover the luggage area under the hatch, but be attached to the hatch so that it raises along with it. Don't know why. To cover your suitcases perhaps?

I was trying to be nice and not pic the car apart too bad like we sometimes do by only pointing the obvious point, which is the car seems like it may have a less than "perfect maintenance" type of owner....

The luggage tonneau we just had a long thread talking about that not to long ago.. actually, that's one of the better points of the car, however small it might be....

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=9282

I agree, the car probably needs a thorough inspection to see if it's a case of a not-so-good car with a fairly decent looking paint job to throw people off its faults. Although, with the fairly early VIN, it might be well worth saving if it's not too bad.

Oh, and those fenders.... ugh....

I was trying to be nice and not pic the car apart too bad like we sometimes do by only pointing the obvious point, which is the car seems like it may have a less than "perfect maintenance" type of owner....

The luggage tonneau we just had a long thread talking about that not to long ago.. actually, that's one of the better points of the car, however small it might be....

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=9282

I agree, the car probably needs a thorough inspection to see if it's a case of a not-so-good car with a fairly decent looking paint job to throw people off its faults. Although, with the fairly early VIN, it might be well worth saving if it's not too bad.

Oh, and those fenders.... ugh....

Pick away. That's why I posted. Hard to be objective here in the midwest, where you rarely see a Z anywhere. He hasn't answered my e-mail to him yet.

Thanks for the thread link on the cover - I remember the beginning of that thread, but I don't think I followed it through. Wouldn't have known what to call the thing to search for it.

Unfortunately, I will have to decide whether to gamble or not. Auction ends Friday, and there's no way I can get up there before that. There is a yellow '73 240 in Indianapolis on e-bay too, but after corresponding with the guy, he's had a channel welded over the frame rails, sheetmetal screwed over holes in the floor, etc. He thinks that since he's put $2000+ into it otherwise, he should get $2000+ back out of it. Fat chance.

Well, it's really hard to be super critical with the pics he posted.

He's done a good job of not taking any pics of the areas I'd like to look at, that's for sure. Like down inside the engine compartment so we could see the frame rails and around the battery.

Other than what's already been posted, the only other things I can see by the pics is the seat covers are faded badly, and it looks like the carpet has been added over the trans tunnel. Can't tell how the door panels look and if there are any speaker holes cut in them or not.

Since he says the floors have been replaced, I'd really want to look them over good and see how well that was done.

It looks pretty good with him taking pics from 10 feet away..but it's up close that could make the difference.:ermm: Even though it's an early Vin, and even if the price was under 2500, I'd want to see it up close before I'd put my money on it.

Well, it's really hard to be super critical with the pics he posted.

He's done a good job of not taking any pics of the areas I'd like to look at, that's for sure. Like down inside the engine compartment so we could see the frame rails and around the battery.

Yup, that's the kind of stuff I've asked him for. He actually has now responded with a little of the info. Near Battery tray:

post-4028-14150793118325_thumb.jpg

From a California point of view, I say....... Uggh. IMO looks like Stage 2 cancer. Not fatal yet, but it needs to go under the knife for ANY chance of survival.:(

PS, I know this is "picky", but if the owner doen't know the difference between leather and vinyl, I have to wonder what else he doesn't know about the car, or is misleading about.