IGNORED

Unknown interior parts

mdbrandy

I was looking at the pics for 240Z #476 that is on e-bay right now, and came across the attached pic of the passenger interior. Two questions: What is that big box under the dash? Something for air conditioning, like the evaporator maybe? And second, there seems to be a vinyl covering over wiring just at the end of the console - you can see three snaps on it in the picture. Is this something standard? My car doesn't have either the under-dash box or the vinyl cover. I may have to look for one of the vinyl covers if it is normally there...

Thanks.

post-4028-14150793115024_thumb.jpg

Yeah, that is an unusual looking A/C unit..

It's also missing the plastic under dash (kick?)panel that somewhat covered the A/C...

I've had a couple cars with the pig tail vinyl cover, but the worst thing about them is the proximity to the heater which usually ends up with the vinyl cover getting dry and brittle and the vinyl separating from the backing. Don't know what I've ever seen anyone having them for sale now....:disappoin

Originally posted by Victor Laury

I first saw the pigtail cover on Les Canaday's 71 and had the same question. He told me it was an orginal item but rare these days.

Figures. The simple things seem to be the rare ones. Seems simple enough for someone to repro - maybe classicdatsun or somebody makes one. Now I'll have to go searching....

Here's the one that is in my 71, that luckily, is still in excellent shape... unfortunately, it's the only one I have.

It does seem odd no one makes a replacement, since they do make replacement handbrake covers. Could probably make these out of the scraps from making the handbrake covers...

post-1499-14150793115436_thumb.jpg

And, if you're interested, here's the heater-A/C cover panel I took out of a 76 280 that I'm going to try installing in the 71. The hole on the right is where the vent control is mounted through and the other end mounts on a screw...

First time I saw one was in Ken Lewis' car, and happened to think I had one in the 76 parts car.. make's for a cleaner looking passengers side footwell....

post-1499-14150793115695_thumb.jpg

I don't have the correct vinyl, Mark, but I could easily make one. It's just a square piece with snaps on the ends and the vinly is folded over and sewn. I'll try to remember measuring it next time I'm out at the shop. A word to collectors; the snaps on this and the brake boot are gloss black, not silver chrome like the repros I see around.

Originally posted by 26th-Z

I don't have the correct vinyl, Mark, but I could easily make one. It's just a square piece with snaps on the ends and the vinly is folded over and sewn. I'll try to remember measuring it next time I'm out at the shop. A word to collectors; the snaps on this and the brake boot are gloss black, not silver chrome like the repros I see around.

Sounds like no one else makes them (although I haven't looked yet), so you could probably go into business! I don't have one to pattern anything of of so I'd surely take you up on your offer if it's that easly...hardest part might be getting the right-looking snaps.

I can't imagine the snaps are a problem. It's the vinyl that might be difficult - depending on how correct you want to be. The stuff Datsun used was pretty inexpensive - thin vinyl over a light gauze backing. I suspect no one is making them because there is no demand. This is the part of restoration that becomes fun in my opinion. I'll be happy to make one. I need to talk to Les Canaday, he might have good vinyl. Hell, Les would probably have one!

Keeping to the spirit of this post, but changing direction slightly, I would love to find an Amco luggage bar to go along with my $7000 luggage trim molding.

post-4148-14150793115931_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by 26th-Z

Keeping to the spirit of this post, but changing direction slightly, I would love to find an Amco luggage bar to go along with my $7000 luggage trim molding.

Is that what that bar is! That pic is from the same car on e-bay that I got my pic of the pigtail cover from. I wondered if it was some total aftermarket thing or an option that I've never seen.

And Bambi, it is $70 and not $7000. I bought one too. Chloe at MidwestZ was kind enough to find two NOS ones. :classic:

Originally posted by mdbrandy

...........And Bambi, it is $70 and not $7000. I bought one too. Chloe at MidwestZ was kind enough to find two NOS ones. :classic:

Thanks Mark! Whew, I was hoping it was a typo. :cross-eye

I've been looking for another AMCO accessory part. The nice thick Rubber floormats. I wonder if Chloe can get a set of those as well. I'll have to check with her later this week, I need to order something else anyway.