IGNORED

cam gear wont go bak on!

z_boi

Help me out guys! Im not to experience wit workin on engines. But i atempted to try and adjust my timing chain. :stupid: Now That i got it off, I cant get the cam gear to go bak on. It wont reach. I tried pulling up on it but it wasnt e nuff. Did i do someting rong or what? I need help guys! :ermm:

if it's an L-series (L-24/L-26/L-28)

there is a tensioner in the lower front of the motor

if you let up at all on the chain, the tensioner may have come out a little, or worse- it came out all the way.

if so...... you'll have to pull the front cover and fix that b4 any thing else.

Did you stick a block of wood down the Timing case in between the loop of chain to keep the tensioner located properly? If not you will be removing the Timing cover to get it back together.

If you DID manage to keep the tensioner where it belongs, the gear *should* be able to be put back on the nose of the cam. It can be tough as there is meant to be VERY little slack in the chain, for obvious reasons.

Let us know a bit more of how you have disassembled this part of your engine. Were you following the information in a shop manual, or flying blind when you did this?

i had a chiltons book. I didnt tell me anything like that. And when i took the gear off, i didnt notice there was a washer in front, so it fell down near the bottom, I think thats when i let off on the chain. Man!. This suks!I was able to hook the washer bak up, and now realize it was pointless because i have to pull the cover. Guess i gotta take everything off tomorro.:ermm:

I think I speak for every one when I say " been there, done that, sorry you have to go through it yourself"

Its not really that hard but it is labor intensive, just pay attension to the obvious and don't forget about the timing and oil pump ( ya it sucks but we have confidence in you).

good luck and happy driving, just smile in the knowledge that you did it yourself and didn't pay someone else to do it......

Dave.

Hey guys! I jus got everything bak together. My timing was off and b4 i never did ne ting to the motor b4 this. the couldnt be adjusted to the correct timing. Now its correct and idles fine. But when i test drove it. it sound like a wrx wit an aftermarket exhaust. It runs rough. I check the fire order, its fine, checked the wires , thats fine. The plugs were fine when i put it bak in. I checked the cam timing mark. and it seemed like it was in the correct place. Right of the oblong groove. Any body know wat i did rong? I had the crank at tdc 0 degrees when i put everything bak together.

Ok, I tried to find out wat was rong today. Adjusted the cams again. Then it wouldnt start anymore. I check the dizzy, the rotor was in the rong place, i adjusted that, and still no luck. I really need help guys! anyone?:ermm: