IGNORED

1971-240z-Hood Release Cable SNAPPED!!

projecteye

Hell, if the cable is already broken, try to snag any cable that may be left where the handle used to be

if none, then tear it apart to get to the remaining cable,,, have some one push down on the hood, ( to releive the pressure) then try a pair of vice-grip plyers on the cable and pull like a son-of a-*$#@.

other than that, good luck

On one of my old cars I had the cable snap on me...with a dead battery...in the rain...about 4 degrees above freezing. Great timing. What I did was put a piece of metal I found on the ground under the hood and pryed it up a little. gently around an inch or so. I then felt around and flipped the lock with my hand and popped it open. Looking at the guy next to me I said "Nice. I got the hood open." He looked at me and said "Yeah but your battery is still dead". Way to bring me down mister.

SuDZ

If your cable broke at the handle, use vise-grips or pliers to pull on the remainder. Then get a new cable/handle assembly.

If the cable broke at the other end, you literally pulled the cable out of the assembly. You will have to reach the latch mechanism at the top and rear of the engine compartment.

Some people have claimed success in reaching up from underneath the car and then actuating it with a screwdriver. Myself, I haven't tried this, and I think you would have to be triple jointed, but they claim it can be done.

The way I did it when my cable snapped was to remove the bolts holding the hood to the hinges. Then gently lifting the hood as far as it could and bracing it there with a 2x4, I was able to reach the bolts holding the hood pin to the hood. Remove the hood pin and not the latch mechanism as the mechanism grips the pin from beneath the bracket it sits on. I guess you could probably get in there and pull / pull on the mechanism and release the pin, but I didn't have any luck.

By the way, a member of the Roadster mailing list attached a second cable to his Roadster's mechanism just in case.....

Enrique

Originally posted by EScanlon

By the way, a member of the Roadster mailing list attached a second cable to his Roadster's mechanism just in case.....

Enrique

I have attached a length of twisted wire cable to the hood latch mechanism right where the standard cable attaches on Bambikiller. It hangs down about 24 inches along the side of the engine. When my 30 year old cable breaks, I'll simply reach up from under the car and give it a yank. Learned this trick on the IZCC mail list.

BTW, instead of buying a new or used Hood Release cable, I've heard that you can have your old one repaired at many Motorcycle shops that make cables.