IGNORED

dashboards

XYZ

I recently became a Z owner and had a question regarding cracked dashboards. I wanted some feedback on people's experience with the dashboard covers that are available in lieu of tearing out a working dash assembly and repairing or replacing. I know there is a half dash and a full dash cover available but are they worth the money? The full dash cover is less than a hundred bucks and the half dash is around fifty bucks. This is about the only thing in the interior that needs attention.

If your budget doesn't allow you to buy a new one or recover the old one then the dash covers are a great way to spruce up the interior for very little money. I have not used the full dash cover ( I have one, the car isn't ready for interior work yet) but have used the half covers.

When you put it on put it on right the first time and it should look good for years, or until you are ready to re-do the dash.

Take the metal panel off up next to the windshield ( you will need a stubby screwdriver) and make sure you have a couple heavy books, some decent masking tape (or some other kind of tape that won't leave any residue behind and I used just regular clear silicone. Get a big tube, clean the dash good, preferably with alcohol to get off any Armor-all etc. Put the silicone on in long thin beads, don't get too close to the edges or it will ooze out. Use plenty of silicone, lay it on, get it right( the silicone will let you move it around) and when you have it where you want it, put plenty of books or whatever is handy, and then tape the edges down good. Let it dry for a day at least, longer if you can, and it should stay put for a long time. I have one on my old race car that has been on there for almost 15 years and has never come loose. If you did everything right it will be hard to tell at first glance that there is a cover on there. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice 2manyZ's. I was thinking of using this remedy because I suck at electrical work and everything on my dash works and I just don't want the headache of creating electrical problems if I don't need to. I'm undecided about the half or full unit. My gut tells me to use the full unit to eliminate a possibly visible joint (with the half) but I need to sleep on it. Thanks again.

2manyZ's - How did you deal with the raised parts of the cracks? Did you shave them down so they were basically flat with the rest of the dash or just not worry about it? It seems if you just leave the cracks standing up that the dash cover would sit up.?!?

You're welcome, pulling out a dash is not my favorite job either. I'd rather pull a leaking transmission anyday.

The half cover is most noticeable around the 3 center gauge pods since it only comes down to the top of the pod. The rest of it wraps down far enough to where the dash turns under that you won't see that line as much. I'd have to go out and dig out the full cover I have to see how it covers around the center gauges.

Since you won't be seeing it again anytime soon, go ahead and shave them off, I've tried gluing them down but it just doesn't want to stay down.

I believe somewhere on this site I saw where Mike and a couple others were discussing a good price on recovering dashes, I just will have to look for the thread, in case you want the info for when you may want to replace your dash.

For the cost difference, go with the full cover.. I have seen both, and yes, both look better than cracks, etc.- but the half cover looks half-assed, IMO.

From a distance, not noticeable really, but when you sit in the car on a regular basis, it will "stick out like a sore thumb".

Everytime you drive, you'd think "i shoulda spent another $40!"

If little stuff doesn't bother you, it may be okay, but that's my opinion! Good luck, Zya Jeremiah 73,74

I did the full face cover thing, and it looks real good. The only draw-back is the glove box doesn't come right open, you have to stick your finger in there and pull a little. The full cover curves into the glove box hole a little and the "lid" rubs on it. Other than that thay're great. Nobody will know its a cover unless you show them the seam way down at the bottom.

classic240z