IGNORED

Won't turn over motor

seerex

Hey all any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 72 240 and I just recently got it and it had sat for quite awhile like 2 years . I put a new battery in it and went to try to start it and it just makes clicking noises from the passenger side firewall. The relay switch i figured out. I tried to jump the car just in case there was any bad battery connections but it just clicks then as well. It does not click from the engine bay and all the lights and interior stuff work so i know its getting power. Any suggestions? And also does the 72 have alot more wiring in thengine bay than a 71 ?? Thanks Jeff

make sure it's not the starter itself

loosen the starter and try to see if the starter if working properly (it should pop out and spin

if its ok the re-instal the starter and give the crank a few turns to make sure the motor hasn't froze

check the ground going from the battery to the starter bolt ( a bad ground will stop ya dead in yer tracks)

clean every connection w/ a wire brush or something every thing may work w/ the system in the shape it is but the starter needs the most power so give it the best connections

as you can see, I used new 4 guage pheonix gold wires and new gold plated brass connectors

Originally posted by BambiKiller240

So, where do you get high quality gold stuff like this to make your own battery cables?

You can find good 4 guage oxygen-free power wire at almost any car stereo shop including Circuit-City, and Best Buy.

They should also carry gold plated connectors, gold plated top and side mount battery terminals.

Originally posted by 240Zdragon72

My '72 is doing the same thing, except mine will turn over but stop when the key is in the "ON" position. I'm getting fuel and spark, but she won't run. Could this be a problem with the starter or with the ignition?

Thanks

Brian:alien:

most likely your ignition switch may be going out, does it have that problem every time, and are you turning the key real hard- or barely.

see if there is a difference in the way you start the car each time.

And check the plug in the back of the ignition, and the connection at the starter cylinoid.

and possibly the relay that clicks when you turn the key to the on possition

Originally posted by Zs-ondabrain

You can find good 4 guage oxygen-free power wire at almost any car stereo shop including Circuit-City, and Best Buy.

They should also carry gold plated connectors, gold plated top and side mount battery terminals.

Thanks, I'll look into that. When my current battery dies, I'm goingto switch to a Group 24F battery so I can get the Positive lead out from under the fender and will be wanting custom cables to accomplish that.

Carl

240zDragon,if The car starts but dies when you release the key to the ON position it is either a ballast resistor bad or wiring/switch issue.You can wire across the resistor for a test.One wire fromthe ignition cranks the car.When released it runs thru another wire that runs the power thru the ballast resistor to drop voltage and extend the coil life.You can also run straight form the battery pos. to the coil pos. as a test.

hey I wanted to say thanks to all , i found my guilty part which was the starter, now it turns over and i am now in a quest to get the carbs rebuilt any suggestions? my brother suggested ztherapy , any good or bad about them?

Originally posted by seerex

i am now in a quest to get the carbs rebuilt any suggestions? my brother suggested ztherapy , any good or bad about them?

They are widely considered as one of the best rebuilders of SU's in the USA. Their work is not cheap, but you get what you pay for.........

I talked to one of my Z friends here and he suggested to run a "hot" wire from the battery to the + on the coil. Then short the starter. She started right up....and ran!! The idel was pretty high, probably because there was no dampaning oil in the carbs:stupid: . I excitedly drove the car around the block, but got halfway and the car started to die. I noticed that there was water on the windshield. Damn! I forgot all about the hole in the radiator. Tried to start her the way I did then and nothing. Could she just be hot, or did I fry something:( ? I hope that it was just hot. I put some water in the radiator, will see what happens tomarrow. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Brian:alien: