IGNORED

Modification of option 1 boxes

Gee

Yep - Z Kid has given a good explanation on the yoke / flange question. Most of the early "A" type boxes had the bolt-together flange type ( with a sliding spline propshaft ) and most of the "B" type boxes had a sliding spline rear output with a solid propshaft.

Gee, many thanks for offering to follow up on any enquiries I might have in Australia. That's very kind of you - I appreciate it. Cheers.

Generally-speaking, I would define "Ex Works" as meaning the part / vehicle was actually USED / owned by the Factory Works rally or race teams. For example, my "OPTION 1" and "Rally Option" transmissions were never ( to my knowledge ) owned or used by Nissan's Factory race or rally teams - but they ARE genuine Sports Option "race" parts. Contrast this with for example my genuine 6pcs ex-Works magnesium "Rally Mag" wheels - which were indeed used on Factory run rally cars here in Europe. One of the team drivers 'liberated' them from the back of a Works service barge and put them away for a rainy day. Naughty naughty. Don't tell Nissan as they might want them back...........

If anyone wants to buy my "Rally" Option box ( unused after mega-expensive full rebuild ) they are welcome to contact me, but might need to have a chair nearby so that they can sit down when I tell them the price...............:ermm:

Alan T.

The mention of the use of Option boxes in Aussie 260Z's is incorrect.

However I believe that there was a large number of CROD boxes used, as mentioned above. And due to the closeness of the gears, a number of people believed that they were true Option boxes.

I have a friend with an Option 3 gearbox behind a Z24 turbo. But the gears are just too close together to be suitable for that application. Heck, you can skip 2nd 3rd & 4th and still get moving quick....

Alan,

Totally off topic, but..

As you know many of the plastic interior bits here in Oz are getting harder and harder to find due to sun damage (and the stupid location of the choke lever - but that's another whinge) - seeing as the UK really doesn't get the same problems (i.e. you have rust, we have sun damage), are good condition interior parts like consoles and dashes readily available?

I know there were never many zeds imported to the UK, however maybe many made it to the breakers yards due to rust before the trim "went". The reason I ask is that I still have family there and maybe it would be cheaper for them to send me the trim bits I need rather than chase up relative rarities here.. maybe the same could be said of parts here that may be hard to get in the UK... dunno, just a thought.

Hi Gee,

Well - we don't get as much hot sunshine as other countries, but the interior trim panels seem to go brittle and crack up just the same.

I've been hunting for good early interior panels for my project car ( it came with NO interior except the dash ) and I have to say that its been really tough. Most of the used ones you come across are trashed.

There are quite a few people sniffing around for good parts over here, and when they find them they lay them down like fine wines.

Shipping from the UK to Australia is going to cost more than shipping from USA / Canada too - so all in all it kind of nixes the idea somewhat. There will be those RHD only parts that might have no alternative but to come from another RHD market - but you are so far away from the UK.

Japan is so much closer to you - but the Yen is mighty strong at the moment.

Sorry if it all sounds negative, but good stuff is VERY difficult to find over here these days.

If you need anything smallish or less likely to be trashed then don't hesitate to ask me.

All the best,

Alan T.