IGNORED

Splash Pan

taikaki

Alan or Kats... I noticed something in the picture of the 432R from the rear...

It has the later style C-pillar emblem that covered the C-pillar vent, yet it seems to also have the vent grilles on the hatch...

Was this something only seen on a 432R or is this another of those mysterious oddities?

2Many,

Common mistake about the Japanese-market cars, that.

In fact, the 432 ( and 432R ) emblem was round, and it had a 'Z' in it, but it was NOT a vent. It was just a flat emblem, and a bit like the bonnet ( hood ) badge of the Japanese-market cars. Not quite the same though. In fact, all of the early Japanese-market cars had this round 'Z' emblem. They could not fit them with the '240z' emblem for obvious reasons.

They fitted in the same holes as the early-type '240Z' emblem - so if you took the emblems off both cars you could swap them around.

Its interesting that the later 'vented' emblem became round in shape again, like the original Japanese-market version. There must be a tale to be told about this, and I'm wondering whether it links in to the story of Mr K's 'editing' of the original emblems on the USA-market cars?

Interesting isn't it?

Alan T.

It just struck me as a bit odd after seeing your pic you posted of the blue Fairlady in another thread... the blue car had one that said 240Z and was shaped similar to what our early cars came with and the 432R had the round one but also had the hatch vents...so, the 432R had emblems that said FairladyZ on the front fenders and on the rear only correct?

Oy, too many differences to keep track of them all.....:cross-eye

That pic of the blue car I posted in another thread was actually the "Export Model" ( a USA-market car ) at the '69 Tokyo Motor Show. Isn't that the one you mean?

Maybe I confused the issue by discussing the fact that it was emblemed-up as both a 'Datsun' and a '240Z' - but where the number plates would be they had attached cards that said "Fairlady Z Export Model".

It has the ( non-vent type ) '240Z' pillar emblems, whereas the Japanese-market cars just had the round 'Z' emblem that looked a little bit like the later ( vented ) 'Z' emblem that ALL markets got when they went to vented pillars.

Perhaps its too late at night for me to try to remember all this properly!

Anyway, the 432 & 432R were emblemed in the same way as the other Fairlady models - but with the addition of the pot-metal ( later plastic ) '432' emblem above the 'Fairlady Z' emblem at the bottom of the front wings ( fenders ) and underneath the 'Fairlady Z' emblem on the rear hatch. If a rear spoiler was chosen then the '432' emblem usually went below the 'Fairlady Z' emblem on that too,( edit: although the 432R shown at the 1969 Press Preview event in Tokyo did not seem to have the '432' emblem on the rear spoiler, most production models with the spoiler DID have it ).

There was a sticker-pack available for the 432R, which consisted of two black or white stripes fitting around '432' and 'Fairlady Z' emblems, which went along the lower part of the sides of the body. Very rare.

Alan T.

I just had a look at the pic of the "new" splash pan that Carl Beck posted and wanted to point out that the one that I have on my RHD specification car is different to the one seen in the picture.

Mine is basically identical in shape, size and mounting but it doesnt have the holes in it that are seen in the one in the picture to the rear edge of the pan.

Maybe different markets got different types of splash pans and hence different colours?

Just a thought.

Regards

Joseph

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

The blue car I was referring to is the Export Model car.. guess they hadn't gotten around to changing the taillights for the show, or it wasn't intended for the US..:ermm:

Yes - it had the amber indicator section on the rear lights. They were probably still finalising a few details for the Export models even while this car was being diplayed.

I think this car WAS intended for the USA / North American market. Surely it must have been? It was going to be their single biggest potential export market, after all. I would love to know what VIN number that car had ( if it had one? ).

Careful what you say though, as we all know the Z was 'made' for the USA. LOL

Alan T.