IGNORED

Bumping noise

1 Bravo 6

Yair,

What Garth said.

And didn't I feel like a bloody fool when Barb reached up and pushed on the sunroof and the damn noise STOPPED !!!!!!:stupid:

That was after I'd had three mechanics check out the right rear suspension, replaced the shocks all round, rear wheel bearings and seals, UJ's on the half shafts and the diff mount.:tapemouth

One consolation, .... at least I know the rear suspension is o.k.

Dum de Dum Dum DUUUUUM.

Rick.

:devious: :devious:

could it be as simple as a strut bumper? mine were pretty badly beaten up last time I did struts..

maybe its not suspension related? is your exhaust well strapped?

G'Day Gav,

You suggest the diff mount ????? but the noise is Definitely coming from the region of the right rear suspension. Do you think a shot diff mount noise would "TRAVEL" and appear to come from the rear right ???????????????

Billcap,

I didn't realise that I had not been more specific till I reread my first post.

It sounds for all the world like a buggered shock absorber but I've just recently replaced all four.

When does the noise occur ???

Every time the rear right tyre hits a good bump.

Rick.

oops nevermind...didnt read all the way down the page..

Yair,

What Garth said.

And didn't I feel like a bloody fool when Barb reached up and pushed on the sunroof and the damn noise STOPPED !!!!!!:stupid:

That was after I'd had three mechanics check out the right rear suspension, replaced the shocks all round, rear wheel bearings and seals, UJ's on the half shafts and the diff mount.:tapemouth

One consolation, .... at least I know the rear suspension is o.k.

Dum de Dum Dum DUUUUUM.

Rick.

:devious: :devious:

Hi Billy, before I rebuilt the suspension on my '73, it would darn near rattle the teeth out of my head when I hit a pot hole or any bump on the road. It sounded like the struts were bottoming out, there was a metal to metal "clank" sound. The struts were shot, and the bump stops were missing on all 4 struts. Most of the original bushings were intact, with the exception of a couple on one of the rear transverse links.

I also had a rear end "clunk" that I never could pinpoint, but it was gone after the suspension rebuild, too. In addition to new struts, springs, and urethane bushings, I also replaced the engine mounts, transmission mount and rear differential mount.

Hello Ken

Are you please able to elaborate some more on what you are referring to when you mention bump stops on the suspension?

Thanks

Joseph

The "bumps stops" or rubber bumpers are part of the strut assembly and mount on the piston rod inside the coil pack. The bump stops prevent the strut assembly from bottoming out on the upper spring seat during severe compression. See #4 the image linked below for a visual.

Rear Suspension - Bump stop

I just purchased a set of KYB strut boots that have a bump stop built into the boot. I prefer these to the harder durathane bump stop that came with my Energy Suspension bushing kit.

KYB strut boot

I know this is an old post, but it just kind of "ended". I have a very similar sounding problem in my 77. If I hit a sharp bump like a pothole or the lip of a drive way or something like that it makes a terrible thump and then a kind of resonate rattle. It sounds like something is contacting the body but after searching and searching I can't figure out what. With the car on a lift I can't move any of the suspension parts with a prybar and there are new urathane mustache bar bushings installed. Did 1 bravo 6 have any luck? Anyone ever heard of a front diff mount making noise over bumps? I can't move it by hand but I know that doesn't mean its not broke. Also, I've checked the exhaust and the rear hatch both seem to be O.K.

Again, sorry for dragging up ancient history but any help would be highly appreciated.

HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT OF STARTING A NEW THREAD??? WHATSA MATTA FOR YOU ??

Hi guys, I had the same type of noise when I would drive over inclines or declines on driveways or parking lots. I put in new mounting insulators when I replaced the struts in front and the noise disappeared. The noise would occur when the weight was off the front end.

hey thanks guys, I was checking the car over again yesterday and after pulling the dust covers up on the struts ( to check the gland nut ) i found that the left rear was leaking badly. I sure hope this does it, anyway KYB's on the way.

I'd say it's definately your suspension bottoming out and that's where the banging noise is coming from, I had a similar problem with my old Koni's they were shot. I installed Tokico 5 way's and I don't have the problem anymore. :classic: