IGNORED

Found 74 240Z. Need advice

Rviper

Hi! I´ve been informed of a 74 Z for sale, 300km (186miles) away from my house. The car as far as i know is in bad conditions - abandoned - has documents and the engine runs. So i think that he probably doesn´t have a paint at all, lot´s of rust, some mechanical problems and a few parts missing, and i have to pay for a transport. Besides i´m starting a project to restore a full rust car (other model).

So you ask: "And why the hell are you going to see the car?!!" Answer: I love the Z; Only 120 where imported to Portugal (30 years ago, 280 or 260 don´t exist); The owner wants 500 Euros (+/- 450 US dollars).

What do you think? Is it worth it in a long term project? what should i look for?

Thanks

Rui

Wow, only 120 ever??

Welcome to the club. You are probably the first from your country.

I have one question. Do you have access to parts there? If only 120 were imported I don't think it will be to easy to find a parts car. There are many parts suppliers here in the states, and many of the people here have parts to sell.

Here's my advice. Before you buy check on the availability of parts, either used or aftermarket. Most of the rust can be fixed with repair panels except for the inner front fenders and strut towers and the radiator core support. Check under the battery tray, the floors, the inner front fender behind the struts, and inside the hatch above the taillights.

The floors are prone to rust as are the front frame rails. These can be fixed if you are good at metalworking or know someone who is.

I would say if you can get the parts almost any car is worth fixing, especially if the cars are that rare.

I asked a friend to see the car. The price (very low for this car here) says everything...or maybe not. He told me that the owner needs money and space. The engines runs but only with 5 cylinders, the 1st gear can´t be used, rust (not holes) is every were. But the main problem (to me) is the Sunroof. I´m lack of experience in metal working, but with the Celica (TA22) i learned that i have to pay a lot (huge) more to fix the sunroof. So this might be his sentence.

Althoug i love the Z, i might be interested for parts. At Nissan´s importer the answers are not conclusive (the questions weren´t directly) so i don´t know wich parts are available. In the junks the problem is always the same: The RWD DON´t have front body or they rolled (accident hits the durface with the sunroof...many times) in this cases the engines disappear immediately. So my sources might be Nissan and buy through internet. Besides...these cars don´t exist in the junk´s.

Does anyone knows if Nissan has body panels in stock?

The Z will be a long term project, but i will probably wait for another car. IN the reverse angle, rumours say that only 12 Z´s are running in perfect conditions, so the word "Pride" means a lot here. As i said, i love the Z.

Thanks for your help 2ManyZ´s

Rui

Note: I laugh a lot when i translate your nickname. A bit ironic for this subject, don´t you think? :)

I've heard for years I have too d--n many Z's so I thought it fit.

I do not know what is available from Nissan as far as body parts go. I do know there are a lot of panels that are no longer available from them or anyone. The strut towers, inner front fenders, radiator core support, I believe the rear panel(the one the taillights mount to) that is just a start. Most aftermarket suppliers such as Motorsport Auto(www.zcarparts.com) have replacement panels for floors and fenders but the main chassis parts are what is the problem.

Wish I could be more help, and good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Rviper. I too am new to the forum but have had a Z for many years. Since 1973 to be exact. I am a little confused though since your subject header says "found 74 240z". Someone may correct me if I am wrong, but I believe my '73 was the last year for the 240z. The '74 started the 260z series.

Good luck with your project should you accept the mission. Z cars are addicting. LOL

Hi Zman!

You might be correct, but it´s not the 1st time this happens. My Celica came out of the factory in October 1971, but is 1st regist is from an embassy back in 74. I don´t know the reasons for this, but in 25 April 1973 we had a pacific democratic revolution and all what it means. So the cars might had to bem in stock!!

Regards

Rui

I am a little confused though since your subject header says "found 74 240z". Someone may correct me if I am wrong, but I believe my '73 was the last year for the 240z. The '74 started the 260z series.

Ok, I'm not fully sure on some of this, but I'll relay what I know.

Not all countries received the cars imported there directly from the manufacturer. In some countries, they would actually receive vehicles that had originally been shipped to another country first. Don't have the specifics for the Nissan / Datsun Z cars but it sounds as though Portugal didn't receive a direct shipment from Japan. Hence, it is highly likely that they got 73 vehicles late enough in the year that they were then imported as 74's.

Case in point, the 1970 Chevrolet NOVA as sold in the United States was sold as a 1974 Chevrolet (NOT NOVA, don't know the name) in Chile. That's because GM shipped the molds for the sheet metal etc to it's plant in Chile and had the production continue there. By the way, the reason the NOVA name wasn't used is because the 2 words NO VA mean "Does NOT Go" in Spanish. Unfortunately GM didn't learn it's lesson and it reused the name when it came out with the compact NOVA for Mexico in the Early 90's. This time however, they pushed the "Exploding Star" theme to try to get people to ignore the Doesn't Go monicker.

So Rui, in order to best help you, you need to find out the VIN # of the vehicle if you are going to buy the car.

Can those of us in the USA help you get parts? I'm sure we can. But the biggest problem will be finding out just how difficult it will be for you to receive the parts.

I work in International Sales, some countries will allow free export / import of certain items while taxing or applying tariffs to other items. Here in the US we can pretty much find what you need, the problem is one of shipping it to you, and your being able to receive it, as well as the exchange of monies to do it with.

Contact either your Customs office (Aduana), or the offices of DHL, UPS, Fed-Ex. One of those should be able to inform you as to the duties, taxes and / or tariffs due on used vehicle parts. Find out how they are assesed. Some countries go by Notarized Invoice, others, by Cost Insurance and Freight (CIF) as presented by Bill of Lading, others by their own table of estimated worth. This is critical, since a $20.00 part here, may cost $30.00 to ship to you with Insurance and you would then be paying taxes / duties CIF on $50.00 worth.

You might also look on the Internet and see if you can find one of the owners of the 12 cars you mention. It may turn out to be that this is an endeavour suited only for really REALLY rich people, or it may be that any one can do it, it just takes time and perseverance but some money as well.

For those of us in the US, imagine finding a Lamborghini or a Mercedez Benz Gull-Wing in your local boneyard. You can get it cheap, but getting the parts is where it gets close to impossible to do economically.

Anyhow, just my 2¢ worth.

Boa Suerte