Options on a L series engine stand - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Options on a L series engine stand

Featured Replies

Evening, I have been wanting to start a rebuild on my L28. I don't know how many miles, condition the rings are, etc. The big question is if I can use any engine stand or do I have to find one specificly for the L engine?

thanks for your support 83280zxNA, I think I do need to get my Z runnin' :love:

Brian:alien:

I got one at Autozone for $40 bucks. Works great.

All you need are the correct length bolts to attach it to the stand. Your transmission bellhousing bolts won't be long enough. Also, different stands have different length 'fingers', and so you have to match the bolts to the stand. I bought a set of bolts when I rebuilt a 280Z engine back in the '80s to use on a stand I bought from JC Whitney. Four months ago, I bought a stand from Harbor Freight, and found that the bolts that I still have now (I am a terrible pack rat) were too long to use on that stand with my 240Z engine. Had to buy new bolts. Not expensive, but get them before you lift out the engine and need to attach it to the stand!

If you have a Harbor Freight near buy . about $40.00

I got my AC Delco at O'Riley's for $50, it's the middle of the road stand that will hold up to 750lbs. For $40 you can get the next step down that holds 500lbs at many places as mentioned above. Make sure you get the right bolts, I have to return to the store 4 times before they got it right! The problem I had was the thread pattern, for my L24 it uses 10mm by 1.5 and what ever length you need for your stand. Your bolts should be the same seeing as how the tranny is interchangable through all the L series engines and you are mounting to the tranny bellhousing locations.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.