IGNORED

Looking for the J (apan) county plate

Z-point

Hi Guus,

Your best bet is to make a replica yourself.

The originals are VERY rare even in Japan ( not many Japanese-registered cars were fitted with them for 'temporary use' outside Japan, in conjunction with the 'temporary export' translated Japanese registration number plates ) - so I think you will be very lucky to find one.

Making a replica should not be too difficult. The originals were just aluminium plates with a white reflective face ( you know - the type that looks white until you shine a light at it, and then it becomes reflective ). On top of that, they screen-printed the black border and "J" letter. You could do it with computer-cut vinyl lettering.

They just pop-rivetted them to the rear hatch ( using steel pop-rivets, not aluminium! ). Its just a flat piece of metal - no moulding / forming at all.

Here's a pic for better reference:

Alan T.

post-2116-14150792944743_thumb.jpg

This is great Alan! I always though the plates were stamped out but this is easy to replicate.

I had my thoughts about the plate because if you drive on an island (Japan) you do not need one so therefore they must be hard to get.

Some ‘work-san’ got the order “make a country plate for our cars abroad” and so hi did with what was at hand.ROFL

Go for it Guus,

I'm sure you can make a really accurate replica. You should be able to gauge the size and shape from referencing your pics and mine.

The aluminium plate is quite thick ( maybe 1.5mm? ) and not as thin and easy to bend as you might think. I'm sure you can buy sheets of the silvery-white reflective background to stick on it, and the black border and letter are probably easy to get computer-cut and carefully stuck on.

Bury it at the bottom of your garden for a few months and then dig it up. A quick wipe, and it'll look just like the real thing!:classic:

Alan T.

Thanks Jon,

If Alan did not send the pictures of the real stuff, I probably bought the J plate. Now I can see the difference and I like to go for almost original.:D ‘Yours’ is missing a small horizontal line on top. It is a little weird how I work because a lot of people certainly do not know how the works car was equipped or looked like.:stupid: