IGNORED

Fuel tank hose leaks

BillD

If I top off my tank, I get gasoline leaking out of the back of the car. The fuel is coming from the (original) hoses on top of the tank. The easiest fix is to simply keep it below 7/8th of a tank -- no leaking. I'd like a more permanent fix.

Are there any substitutes for the rather expensive OEM hoses?

Any tips on how to do this with the lowest level of hassel?

I await the group's wisdom...

BILL D.

It depends on which hose it is. Is it the large one in the back of the tank or the smaller one on the front?

If it is the large one in the back, you'll need to either get the original or make one up using a piece of tybing as it has a 90 degree bend in it. The smaller one in the front can be replaced by regular 3/8 fuel hose, but it too has a sharp bend, but it you loop it around you can make it work. The larger hose in the back doesn't have any room to make a loop instead of the 90 degree bend so you have to splice one together using tubing to make your bend in it. This large one is the most critical as that is where the air will escape to vent the tank while you are filling it.

FWIW, that large hose is still available, although it is expensive, about 50 bucks from MSA. If you try to make up your own, you'll almost have to drop the tank some so you can get your hands up in there to work as there is very little room as you probably have seen already. Easiest way is to use the original unless you want to go through the hassle of dropping the tank down to make room to work so you can fab up a replacement.:ermm:

2ManyZ's

So you can change those hoses without dropping the tank? I always thought you had to take out the whole thing.

The large hose on the back is leaking on the new 71. Another one of those jobs that I am not looking forward to.

Just got the brakes straightened out again. The left rear wheel cylinder went bad.

Sure felt good to drive a Z again!

Marty

If you have fairly skinny forearms and don't mind a few scratches from the rear panel you can change that one without dropping the tank all the way. It would be a bit easier if you loosen the tank straps so you can slide the tank foreward an inch or so....

I've done it on a couple cars.. but I was blessed with long skinny arms....:ermm: it's kinda hard to see what you are doing while your arm is up in there.. but it's not too bad. The worst part will be trying to feed that hose up through the floor into the car. It's much easier to feed it up through the floor than to try to feed the end with the 90 degree bend down thru the floor, at least that's if you are using the stock replacement hose like I did.

I just put my tank back in mine, and forgot to put that hose on before I put the tank straps on.... got in a bit of a hurry as it's been over a year since the tank came out...:tapemouth at least I remembered to feed the hose through the body before I put the tank in. :stupid:

• 3 weeks later...

After studying the situation and examining the parts of the hoses that were easily accessed in the car, it became apparant that other than the parts directly attached to the tank, the hoses were in great shape. I cut off the bad parts and replaced them with new hose sections. I spliced the two sections together inside of the car with barbed hose splicers and hose clamps from Ace hardware. After sealing the (grommet free) access holes in the floor with silicon sealant, I filled up the car and all of my leaking and gas smell problems were gone. All of this was done for less than $10 and I didn't have to lower the tank. The diagrams in the club's microfiche CD were invaluable in figuring out the hose routings and purposes. I am very pleased with this repair.

Thanks for your help.

Bill Delaune

I just used clear 5/8" hose from Ace Hardware. It appears to be resistant to gasoline and since it doesn't have any standing gasoline (easy to check because it is clear), I don't think it will be a problem. I've used this type of hose for similar purposes on some of my motorcycles and its worked for years.

BILL D.