IGNORED

Whats up with my 240

W.A.ZED

Thought I had better start my 240 up after about 4 months of sitting still.

Had a flat battery so while I charged it I went and got some new plugs, condensor, points, oil and oil filter.

The car started fine, iddled as it should and revved freely up to 4,000 RPM. It all seemed fine until I got her out on the road and the car just died under load, could not get above 2,000 RMP.

Went home and checked timing which was O.K and cleaned my S.U's and re-tuned them. Car still dies under load.

Where do I look next. I gather its an electrical/spark problem. Do I need to get a new Coil?

any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Gavin

It sounds like your mechanical advance weights have seized up , Remove dist.cap and try to move the rotor arm, you should feel some movement against a spring return, This would not effect the timing under idle conditions. Best to check before going shopping!

Had a chance to look at my distributor and found that it had next to no movement when I tried to rotate the rotor arm. Also tried the vacuum advance and could get no more than 2 mm of travel when sucking on the hose. The hole plate seem to be way to hard to rotate.

Can this be easily fixed or can I get a 260z dissy or one from a 240K from an auto wrecker. will these fit?

Put you car in 1st gear and bump the car untill the points are on a lump of the cam of the dizzy. Then check the points gap.

Then rock it back to the flat part of the cam so the points are closed, turn the ignion to on, and using a long screwdriver push the points open and see if you get a spark.

The vacum advance is only for idle and slow speed, what i am talking about is a pair of weights that are located underneath the plate that the points are screwed to and by centrifugal force advance the ign.timing. If they have become gummed up and sticky this would account for your problem, You obviously have a spark at the points but checking the dwell or (gap) wouldnt be a bad idea, put the car in 5th gear not 1st as you will never be able to push it! If the problem turns out to be the advance weights all that is needed is to remove ,clean and reassemble with a light lub. Good luck

Was going to go to the travel agents Clive but its a sunday and nothing is open.

So stripped down the dizzy and the centrifugal weights looked fine, nicely oiled and moving freely. Only problem was that I only have one spring down there. (sure there is ment to two)

Also the base plate assembly was not moving freely. Found that the three tiny ball bearings that the plate's rotate on are badly worn and the shim plates are also slightly damaged. Will see what parts i can get from the local nissan shop on monday and hopefully that will solve my problems.

I'll still buy you a few coldies if your ever over this way Clive.

Hi WA Zed/Carl Parker

We are both in the same boat. Mine runs like it has its own internal rev limiter. Dies as soon as it gets to 4500rpm.

Without pinching this thread, how do you get the counterweights actually off the shaft. I removed everything but they won't budge. I greased themas best as I could and put it back together but I still thinks that they are not running smoothly to do the job.

I know my problem is the counterweights because I tried a borrowed dizzy and the car went great.

I too only have one spring down there even though there is a mounting for two. (Z parts disc only shows one also for L26).

To get the springs off I am assuming the cam has to be removed but it won't budge.

Any suggestions??

Think there is a pin that needs to be punched out somewhere or a screw in the cam recess but it's probably best for someone with experience in these things to give advise. I still think there should be two springs, thats what my manual says ( can someone please advise).

If I am meant to have only one spring then should I assume my dissy is probably O.K and look towards a fuel starvation problem ie: fuel pump.

Hope this helps Biker