IGNORED

Removing Glue from Diamond Vinyl

NCLarry

I've stripped most of the diamond vinyl form my interior and it is in preety good shape. The visible side will need some cleaning, but before I do that, what is the best way to remove the glue from the underside. Certainly I cannot store it this way, not can I do much to clean the other side else it will stick to itself.

I suppose the same question applies to removing the remaining glue from the interior.

larry, I've used nail polish remover, or even rubbing alchohol. that did the trick on the 260 diamond vinyl. try a small hidden area first for colorfastness

I may be yanking the rear out of the 280 in the driveway this sunday if you are interested in stopping by

Try some stuff called Goo-Gone, you can find it at most hardware stores and at Wal-Mart.

I had some glue residue on the vinyl floor of my camper when I bought it from the plastic carpet saver the dealer had installed, I tried alcohol, lighter fluid, and a few other things... the only thing that got it off was the Goo-Gone.... and it shoudn't hurt the vinyl at all..... and it doesn't smell too bad either.....:ermm:

2manyZs is right, goo-gone is a good choice. I've used it in a number of applications from removing price sitckers off of Laser Disc jackets to cleaning off the gum that holds the tail light lens into the housing.

I wouldn't try it on the vinyl but to remove the glue from the bodywork, spray it with WD40 leave it for a while and then just wipe it away. I tried heaps of things to remove muine then a friend told me about the WD40 it was amazing.

Hope it helps,

I have my 2¢ for you, hopefully before you do try to remove from the vynil.

Why are you so intent on removing the adhesive from the VINYL?

In my experience over various cars, if you are planning on re-using any of the pieces that came with the car, you have to consider what the cleanup or repair might do to it.

With vinyl you need to check to make sure that it isn't weather or sun baked to the point where removing it will cause it to disintegrate. If it isn't, and generally MOST vinyl that I've worked with unless it's really been baked you can generally work with it.

An exception to this, however, is the CLOTH BACKING of the vinyl. And actually to the adhesive that bonds it to tne vinyl.

In my experience, older vinyls didn't have the cloth firmly embedded in the actual vinyl plastic, only slightly imbeded and mostly glued with adhesive. This adhesive is the problem. It DOES break down with age and moisture. If you pull on it, you stand a GOOD chance of having it pull out from the vinyl back. That you definitely DON'T want. But if you get an adhesive remover on it, there is an even BETTER chance of removing the backing simply cause you unglued it., now your vinyl is susceptible to stretch, crack and lift off the backing.

If you are removing the adhesive from the vinyl because it has chunks of paint or rust or dirt or lumps from a prior adhesive, then work on those areas. I wouldn't concentrate on getting every bit of adhesive off as I think you would find the work fruitless and pointless. You will be re-shooting that with new and fresh adhesive so the WORST that can happen is that you will activate the old adhesive.

Thefinitely remove as much as you can off the metal. THAT is what you want smooth in laying down the vinyl.

Another point, if the pieces are that sticky, get a roll of Vis-Queen, which is basically poly plastic sheet about 6 mils (.06 inch U.S) lay out a section large enough for the piece, lay it down and then roll the vinyl with plastic backing up in to a roll if the shape permits.

Lastly, when you clean your vinyl, here's a suggestion for you:

First lay it out, and HOSE it off. You won't hurt it and water has the magical ability to remove a ton of crud you wouldn't believe.

Then using a semi-soft brush and some dishwashing or degreasing cleanser go over the face of it.

NOW you can treat the vinyl for preservation. You might even find that some of the clumps of adhesive that you were worried about come off.

2¢