IGNORED

Early car for sale in Queensland

halz

My view is two zeds sitting side by side one modified tastefully one stock orginal I would most likey buy the modified because i can use it as much as i want

If i had money to spare would luv to have a orginal car to keep and look after I think any car with all numbers matching should be restored to orginal state

But cars like mine that have already been changed beyond hope of being restored to orginal may as well be used for a modified base i mean it has the looks with better suspension brakes and more horse power you have a true super car that you can afford

Isnt it better to keep a zed on the road than junk it because its not original i think so I respect those who want orginal cars and can appreciate the work to do this but at the end of the day i want something i can use.

Mick

I agree and disagree.

I too have no real interest in orginality but this is also the reason I bought a 260Z over the 240Z. From the information I found the 260Z is a better car for high power due to better frame rails?

Anyhow the trend I see is that a well modified 260Z picks up much more value than an original 260Z but it is not the same case as the 240Z.

The 240Z is the original Z car and this reason alone is why people choose them over the 260Z, not because they are better but for their orginality. It therefore makes sense that such people would care about matching numbers and so forth and a good condtion orginal 240Z will be in higher demand than a non original one. That said some well modified 240Z's still pick up value but to the same degree a 260Z would in comparison.

My 2c

Personally it would be my weekend car. However, since we are talking about 30 y.o. cars, they are not new and have probably had an engine rebuild or two in their lives. So, why not drive them, care for them and overhaul them as required.... just don't do any mods that aren't reversible.

Datfreak

If you were in the market for a 1970 240z but didn't care if it had been modified or didn't have its original engine etc, what would be your reason for wanting a 1970 model in the first place? Why would anyone deliberately look to obtain a series one car if they didn't care about originality (unless you were looking for a Targa Tasmania car)

You also said you wouldn't care about originality, wether you were spending $2k or $15k, whilst I agree that if I only had a budget of $2k I would have to accept a degree of non original parts on an early car, if I was spending $15k on the other hand I would be looking for a 100% original car.

Simple economics with regard to early zeds is that a mint condition original car is always going to be worth more than a mint modified car, the older and rarer these cars become, the greater the price difference between original and modified.

I personally would not even contemplate selling my car to someone who was going to modify it beyond redemption.

I you were going to buy an expensive oil painting you would buy it and enjoy it in it's original form, you wouldn't get it home and look to improve it, or would you? :ermm:

Regards

Lee

I agree keep the original cars orginal and owners of them should only sell them to collectors not young hoons I have to admitt i set out to buy a 240z ( still think i should have bought a smick 260z 2 seater but it was twice the price in hindsight it would have been cheaper) didnt care what year wasnt till Two years later i even looked at the chasis number to find it was number 640

Must say the modified 240z rally cars are starting to ask some big money saw one recently for $30,000 another for $15,000 and theres even one on rally .com.au at the moment for $14,000

http://www.rally.com.au/index.cfm?fuseaction=forsale.advert&ad=2041&cfid=14478461&cftoken=6621265

Mick

I've struck a nerve with some folks here( the oil painting line cracks me up--a 911 porsche is a oil painting)

Firstly I said tastefull mods- not 6 speaker sound systems, cheap gear knobs or plastic steering wheels and tacty body kits...and junk like that(but there is exception for a modest, basic cd player)

Tastefull mods include triple solex's/webers, bigger/different L Series motors ie L28(or big bore) , different wheels and of course autos converted to 5 speeds.

Think about it...do you love the Zcar and are willing to drive it everyday everywhere, OR are you one of the people who only drive it on the weekends and are not going to use it as a REAL CAR, just to increase resale???

I'd admit if I bought a low number 240z, I wouldnt go out of my way to make it modified,,, BUT if it didnt have original airfilters/paint colour when i bought it, I wouldnt go out of my way to change it back to original either.

I have noticed that a lot of modified 240/260z's have been sold cheaper then perfect original cars...but the modded ones seem to have had harder lives(perhaps they where actually driven and not just gararged??)

As for modded examples have crappy resale.. does anybody here know what Ben Ellis's 240z with the twin turbo toyota 6 sold for?????????

As for modded examples have crappy resale.. does anybody here know what Ben Ellis's 240z with the twin turbo toyota 6 sold for?????????

No, but a fool and his money are soon partedROFL