IGNORED

Mystery Switch

mdbrandy

See the attached pic, and see if you can tell me what the heck this thing is before I have to trace the whole circuit.

It is a double throw momentary contact switch (i.e., click it up or click it down, and it clicks nicely, but returns to the center). It was installed through the side of my glove box. I'd assume it was just some hack except for the nice original-looking connector! Also, the corresponding connector in the wiring harness, and the harness actually has the original Datsun part tag, so it is original.

So, any guesses, or maybe somebody knows? Would save me some detective work in the circuits.

Thanks.

post-4028-14150792815085_thumb.jpg

The only switch like that on a Z car would be the electric antenna switch that would normally be mounted in the stock radio faceplate. Did the PO put an aftermarket stereo in? If so, then he probably needed a place to mount the switch for the antenna.... :ermm:

Nope. The radio is original, and has the original antenna rocker to the right side. I might check to see if I can remember if the connector for that was unhooked - it could have failed, and a PO had to jerry rig a replacement. I asked the PO that had it since 1988, and he says he didn't even know that the switch was there. :ermm:

post-4028-14150792815352_thumb.jpg

Hmm, I'd be willing to bet it is... he probably unhooked the one in the radio and replaced it with a switch from a later model... it looks just like the one that was in my 73 I had, mounted on the A/C pod on the side of the console....

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

Hmm, I'd be willing to bet it is... he probably unhooked the one in the radio and replaced it with a switch from a later model... it looks just like the one that was in my 73 I had, mounted on the A/C pod on the side of the console....

I suspect you'd win your bet. The wiring diagram lists Blue-red, Blue-white, and blue as the wire colors for that switch, and that's what I have. So, a PO must have done as you've said - installed a later switch after the original failed. Fun.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

huh, weird, i was just looking for a post that might tell me what this same exact switch is in my car, i also figured it could be important because of the stock wiring look. but i knew it wasnt being used because i found mine sitting behind my dash when i took it out... i didnt put the antenna back in though, so i guess i dont need it, my car has no speakers or stereo in it, so im going to go XM with a nice little system when i get some dough... thanks for the thread guys, saved me some searching:classic:

-Zach

My 70 has a switch like the one you were wondering about. My radio is a cassette AM-FM unit and the switch is mounted on the dash right below the hazard switch. I thought that was the standard configuration because my previous 70 was like that also.:classic:

Originally posted by civ104

My 70 has a switch like the one you were wondering about. My radio is a cassette AM-FM unit and the switch is mounted on the dash right below the hazard switch. I thought that was the standard configuration because my previous 70 was like that also.:classic:

Interesting. My dash has both holes cut out at the hazard switch - the bottom one has the hazard switch in it, and the top one is empty. So, how about other early owners chiming in - do you have a radio like mine with the antenna rocker, or do you have a toggle? Was a cassette AM/FM unit available in '70, or could it have been a later addition? Mine is AM only. Does your radio have a rocker like mine? My car seems to have very few options (no rear defogger, etc. ), so maybe AM only was different than a more loaded version. Picture of my hazard switch area attached. I have been worried that the PO had replaced the dash with a later version that had that upper hole cut out for the cig lighter, but he said he didn't...:ermm:

post-4028-14150792859527_thumb.jpg