Early 240z hatch vents: block them? - Body & Paint - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Early 240z hatch vents: block them?

Featured Replies


I have a 1970 240z with the early hatch vents. I have the ducting from the vents on back to the bottom of the hatch, but it's not like this car is ever going to see rain again, so the drainage functionality isn't important. I'm more interested in doing whatever I can do to block exhaust from getting into the car. I happened to watch this video a while back where they apparently blocked the vent holes. Any thoughts on this? It's about about 16:15 in the video.

Also, anyone know a good source for the grommets he installed on the bottom of the hatch, where the drainage tubes go normally? At 16:19 in the video, just for a second.

After Nissan changed over to the side vent they put the grommet in to fill the hole for the vent.

I see it as 27035-21000 still available from Nissan. Number 71 in the diagram from Carpartsmanual Stock part for the mid 71-> 240Z's

Screen Shot 2026-06-21 at 8.00.08 AM.png

  • Author

Thanks! Always feels cool when you can still order a genuine Nissan part for something on a Z...

I can say for sure that those fit the holes. The middle is a little thinner than you'd expect, I guess it's easier to cut out if you run hose through them?

20260529_100844.jpg.c68b593566bfa6ef4f4d2fb53e297939.jpg

20260529_100650.jpg.20f4e11471054d82e9dacfcb61963c31.jpg

Edited by siteunseen

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.