IGNORED

Finally found a 69 240z, #51 Time to finish a 30 year multiple owner restoration.

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2024 at 7:58 AM, dspillman said:

Careful removal of undercoating and grease revealed a partial number on most mustache …. I’m thinking they were all the same with 240s… Too aggressive I was while “gently scrubbing”

image.jpg1

A friend of mine had a stencil made to reproduce that part no. on the rear moustache bar. I don't recall if HLS30 vs HS30's used a different part no. though.

Here are some photos from a clean 73 model (HS30) we took apart a couple of years ago.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/szJd62o9dARqLpWTA

IMG_7141.JPG

Edited by Gav240z
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Gav240z said:

A friend of mine had a stencil made to reproduce that part no. on the rear moustache bar. I don't recall if HLS30 vs HS30's used a different part no. though.

Here are some photos from a clean 73 model (HS30) we took apart a couple of years ago.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/szJd62o9dARqLpWTA

IMG_7141.JPG

That would work perfect!

After seeing your pic I did some uncovering on mine. Did some cleaning to remove 54 yr old undercoating and found the p/n’. The rear differential assembly is the only thing I haven’t yet taken apart to clean. 
image.jpeg

• Like 2

Ok, I can chime in on this one.  Had the same issue with 26th and 27th.  Z Car Depot sells two different part number stencils for the mustache bar.  I bought them so that I could make a stencil for the correct number, and the correct number for HLS30-00051 IMO.  55450-E4101  https://zcardepot.com/collections/tools/products/mustache-differential-bar-part-number-stencil-r180-r200-240z-260z-280z?_pos=1&_sid=ccde6f856&_ss=r#  Also, if you want to get real accurate, there is a 1/4" yellow stripe across the bar just to the right of the part number.  It's not a brush stroke, it's sprayed on.MustacheBar-1.jpgMustacheBar-2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

...and the correct number for HLS30-00051 IMO.  55450-E4101 

Not E4100?

In the first Japanese market parts manual (pub. C-137) they list 55450-E4100 first for the S and D models, superseded by the E4101 at S30-00976. That would be around January 1970?

S20-engined models first got the E4200, which was superseded with the E4201 at PS30-00103.

I would imagine both supersessions were likely to be NVH-related improvements?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

Also, if you want to get real accurate, there is a 1/4" yellow stripe across the bar just to the right of the part number.  It's not a brush stroke, it's sprayed on.MustacheBar-1.jpgMustacheBar-2.jpg

I will definitely be gently  cleaning that “yellow stripe” area tomorrow …!!!!  Thank you!!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HS30-H said:

Not E4100?

In the first Japanese market parts manual (pub. C-137) they list 55450-E4100

If Chris has 2…..26/27 assuming that both cars showed 4101….. that has to take precedence…

Edited by dspillman

28 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

I had a similar thought, Alan, however my USA and Canada parts catalog lists E4101 initially.

I saw E4101 in the USA & Canada catalogue too, but wondered if the E4100 was superseded so soon on the HLS30s that it wasn't listed.

It certainly ranks as a very early part number change. I wonder what was different? Musings for another thread I guess...

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

I saw E4101 in the USA & Canada catalogue too, but wondered if the E4100 was superseded so soon on the HLS30s that it wasn't listed.

It certainly ranks as a very early part number change. I wonder what was different? Musings for another thread I guess...

1 hour ago, 26th-Z said:

I had a similar thought, Alan, however my USA and Canada parts catalog lists E4101 initially.

Definitely e4101 on hls30-00051 as well.   Careful scrapping of undercoating this time revealed the “brushed” yellow stripe and the “shadow of 01 just to the left.

Thank you for the heads up 26th on the yellow stripe!1D9FD4DE-EBA2-4FA9-AE48-4D511E244663.jpeg

Edited by dspillman
Proper description
  • Like 2

Just as an aside, here's an E4100 - with double stripes - on the factory floor as part of a rear end 'module' ready to be installed. Early photo:

E4100 assy.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HS30-H said:

Just as an aside, here's an E4100 - with double stripes - on the factory floor as part of a rear end 'module' ready to be installed. Early photo:

E4100 assy.jpg

Have my curiosity up for the purpose double stripes versus single…….. going to have to crawl under my fairladies and check out their stripes!! Nn