IGNORED

Parts for Sale: 240 OEM REFURBISHED CLOCK

zclocks

240 OEM REFURBISHED CLOCK

For sale is a completely refurbished 240 clock.  This clock has been on my test bench for several months and is suprisingly accurate.

Price : $230 Plus tax and shipping

please PM or see my web site Zclocks.com

• Advertiser
    zclocks
  • Date
    03/04/2024
  • Price
    $230
  • Category

13 hours ago, zclocks said:

This clock has been on my test bench for several months and is suprisingly accurate.

Accurate also when you feed it different voltages between 12 and 14,5 volt.. test it..  (It should not matter, a week 12v and a week 14,5v..)

I got a restored one with a 1,5 volt battery holder for in the glovebox/compartment and.. still not installed hahaha... I got it out of a whole sale of datsun parts so i don't know who sold/made these.. It looks exactly like the 240z clock but works on 1,5 volt.. and it ticks on time (It does tick).

Hey Dutch,

You reminded me of a test that I was going to perform on the OEM 240z clock input power . I have run the specific clock I have for sale at 14, 12, 10 and 5 volts. Thats  right 5 volts and the clock works and keep good time. Not sure if all the clocks can go as low as 5 volts without adjustment, but I don't know why anyone would run the clock on 5 volts.

Interesting test and a good performance of the  motor and  clock spring. The motor doesn't run all the time it just keeps the main spring wound. If the spring is weak it can be the reason the clock time will fluctuate, as well as change in temperature.

Ron

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Forgot to mention that the AA battery clock you mentioned has some problems. The AA battery for one can leak and cause problems if not changed every couple of months. Especially during the summer when car temp can go aver 150 deg F. Batteries don't like the heat and they repture and leak. 

The second problen is that the mechanism in this clock is not made for the automotive enviroment. This is  $2 Chineese mechasm that is quartz driven and made for the ultra cheap indoor clock as sold in  most discount stores. Modifications to the 240z clock when installing this mechanism will destroy the number face plate if you ever want to go back to the OEM clock or a good quartz conversion. Motorsports use to sell them . I know people that love the idea , but I also have several boxes of these clocks that were traded in on up grades for a better quartz mechanism that was NOT AA battery powered.

Just  opinion.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zclocks said:

Forgot to mention that the AA battery clock you mentioned has some problems. The AA battery for one can leak and cause problems if not changed every couple of months. Especially during the summer when car temp can go aver 150 deg F. Batteries don't like the heat and they repture and leak. 

The second problen is that the mechanism in this clock is not made for the automotive enviroment. This is  $2 Chineese mechasm that is quartz driven and made for the ultra cheap indoor clock as sold in  most discount stores. Modifications to the 240z clock when installing this mechanism will destroy the number face plate if you ever want to go back to the OEM clock or a good quartz conversion. Motorsports use to sell them . I know people that love the idea , but I also have several boxes of these clocks that were traded in on up grades for a better quartz mechanism that was NOT AA battery powered.

Just  opinion.....

Interesting comments on the AA battery powered clocks. I have one purchased from MSA back in 2011 and I recall sending in my clock as a rebuildable core. It was my understanding that the units they were selling at that time came from your shop. Anyway, it continues to be an extremely reliable clock that does not eat batteries. My car is always garaged so it does not hit the high temps you mention.

• Thanks 1

Jim, 

Good to hear that you have had good luck with your clock. NO I did not supply those clocks to Motorsports.

You are one of the luck ones as I have several boxes of shorted mechanisms and leaking battery damage from the AA clock conversion.

Ron

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up about the clock on 1,5v.. on the other hand i hear they work already for 13 years.. anyway.. i can install it in my car as it's also not in a hot spot overhere..

Thanks for the explanations, i also have the older square datsun clocks, and they have a very good working clockwork that fits in the 240z clocks 🙂   These square little clocks came in the cherry and sunny models..  It seems they run forever..