IGNORED

My Z has a new stablemate

Jeff Berk

My son just purchased a 2005 Lotus Elise. It needs some cosmetic work but is mechanically sound. Its currently stored under my 260Z that is waiting on its differential to be installed. 

We drove to Chicago from Cleveland to pick it up and had an eventful road trip. On the way there, my son's 2019 Veloster Type N's steering wheel locked while driving at 80 mph on the turnpike. He was able to inch the car to the berm, cycle the ignition off and on and that cleared the lock. We just found out this morning that there is a TSB that covers a slew of Hyundai models that addresses this concern so its sitting at the dealer waiting on a part.

Please ignore my junk filled garage in the photo.

Lotus_Garaged.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jeff Berk said:

On the way there, my son's 2019 Veloster Type N's steering wheel locked while driving at 80 mph on the turnpike.

Yikes, that's terrifying. It seems like a level of problem that should result in truly extraordinary effort to alert owners.

At the time I was too confused to be terrified. I had my seat reclined and I was covered with my winter coat as my son refused to turn up the heat. Then I heard "Dad, Dad... my steering isn't working". Luckily the turnpike was neither curvy or crowded and we still had a couple of degrees in either direction on the steering.

• Wow 2